Senior Service Designer
Santa Monica, CA /
About the Senior Service Designer at Headspace:
Headspace is looking for a passionate research-driven designer to define future products and services at Headspace through a deep human-centered lens. Reporting to the Director of Service Design and Design Research, the Senior Service Designer will join teams of design researchers, product designers, developers, and business strategists to define and design new opportunities for Headspace to increase human health and wellbeing. You should bring a passion for personal and societal transformation, for working with others to solve complex problems, a love for behavioral design, and a desire to build rich, useful experiences.
The Senior Service Designer will be responsible for delivering compelling future services for Headspace across digital, physical, and human touchpoints. You will define the detailed backstage systems, processes, and flows and the detailed frontstage user experiences equally. You’ll lead service blueprinting, customer journey mapping, facilitate design workshops, and work in cross-functional teams to serve diverse populations and solve the health and wellness problems they want help solving.
This role is both one of strategic design thinking and design doing. You will be able to move fluidly from research in the field to workshops with product designers, and effectively share the stories you uncover across the company.
How your skills and passion will come to life at Headspace:
- Build new services with unique, captivating, transformative experiences across physical and digital touchpoints including human coaches
- Generate physical and digital concepts that bring services to life
- Plan and execute design research with design researchers
- Execute research including: contextual inquiries, diary studies, cultural probes, participatory design, co-design, concept validation, and usability testing
- Lead research synthesis sessions to identify opportunities for Headspace
- Conduct ideation sessions based on ethnographic research findings and generate new service and product features for Headspace
- Document insights and opportunities and communicate them in novel ways
- Deliver emotive narratives and effective service design assets to Headspace leadership
- Work with cross-functional teams to build service blueprints and pilot new services
- Collaborate with product designers and guide fellow designers as we generate research-backed, mindful, product and service features
- Use your human-centered approach to co-design behavioral interventions alongside our behavioral scientists
- Prototype behavioral design experiments at low, medium and high fidelity
- Devise creative and exciting ways to prototype service concepts with real people
- Iterate services based on findings
- Execute on your vision and gain trust with teams of product designers to work together in building thrilling services for our amazing members
What you’ve accomplished:
- 3-5 years in design consultancies or product companies using human insights to guide design work
- Success leading generative design research, synthesis, and ideation
- Have documented services through service blueprints, customer journey maps, and diagrams
- Experience designing, launching and scaling new services
- Have prototyped services and recognized areas for improvement
- Excellent at facilitating collaborative creative workshops
- Fluent in creative ideation using human needs and research insights as inspiration
- Excellent collaboration skills to co-create solutions with interdisciplinary teams
- Strong relationship-building skills to socialize ideas within the organization and manage external partnerships
- Strong sensemaking skills to find meaning in data
- Able to make abductive leaps to originate exciting new concepts that meet human needs
- Experience in healthcare, or wellbeing is a plus
How we feel about Diversity & Inclusion:
Headspace is committed to bringing together humans from different backgrounds and perspectives, providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We strive to create a diverse & inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do impactful work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our workplace.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Headspace. Please inform our Talent team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
How to get started:
If you’re excited by the idea of seeing yourself in this role at Headspace, please apply with your CV and a cover letter that best expresses your interest and unique qualifications.