Head of Customer Experience
New York /
Headway’s mission is to create access to affordable, quality mental healthcare across the United States.
We all know someone who has struggled with mental health—1 in 4 people have a treatable mental health condition—but the overwhelming majority don’t get the care they need. The primary reason is cost. Eighty percent of therapists don’t accept insurance, meaning paying for therapy is usually very, very expensive.
Headway is solving this problem by building a managed marketplace that brings together patients and therapists, and takes care of all the messy insurance stuff behind the scenes. After launching in April of 2019, we are already facilitating thousands of appointments each month, and have the backing of the nation’s preeminent VCs (backers of: Facebook, LinkedIn, Slack, Uber, Oscar), as well as the nation’s most innovative healthcare entrepreneurs (founders of One Medical, Flatiron, and Clover, plus the founders of Seamless and Giphy).
Join our team and our mission, and do something that matters.
About The Role
The Operations team is responsible for supporting our mission directly with our clients, therapists and other partners. As the leader of a critical function at Headway, reporting to our co-founder and head of operations, you will be responsible for building new processes and product and scaling our teams to support Headway’s expansion.
We are looking for a strong generalist who can take on a breadth of functional and team ownership as we scale. At least initially (things change fast here!) the Head of Customer Experience will manage client experience, therapist experience, our inbound phones, and our referral programs.
- Startup Operations Leadership. Experience conceiving, building and refining new programs, processes and functions in a startup environment. You are exceptional at taking something from 1 to 10, while experimental enough to build something from 0 to 1. You thrive when tackling hard, ambiguous problems with minimal direction.
- Management & Team Building Experience. This role is responsible for managing and developing a key part of Headway’s organization. The ideal candidate has previously managed meaningful teams and has experience building organizations.
- Deeply Analytical. To succeed in this role you’ll need to build de novo processes and conceive and build (with support from BI/eng) the reporting foundation that will drive the team’s continued improvement.
- Motivated by our Mission. We are working to solve the biggest problems in mental health care today (access and affordability). We have already helped thousands of people get care they couldn’t have otherwise afforded today and we’ll help millions tomorrow. Our team members are deeply committed to our mission.
Bonus Points For
- Product Leadership. Headway’s operations organization works directly with engineering. The leader in this role will play a key role helping us evolve our product. In solving hard operations problems, you are as comfortable proposing a new product as a new process solution.
- Sales / Account Management. While this is an operations role, this organization is responsible for some several sales activities. The best candidate for this position is comfortable managing a funnel, working with sales managers and trainers, and driving sales in an entrepreneurial environment.