Software Engineer, Generalist
Northern California, CA
We are a profitable and growing team of ~40 helping people find, enroll in and use ACA health coverage. We have doubled enrollments and revenue in each of the last two years and are now at an eight-figure run rate. We are the largest ACA enrollment platform after Healthcare.gov, having helped over 3 Million people enroll in health coverage. We're a mission-driven team who advocates & cares for the people we serve.
We are a double bottom line company. Our two bottom lines are revenue and enrollments in ACA coverage. The ACA brings high-quality, comprehensive and affordable health coverage within reach for many low income Americans. We exist to make that promise a reality especially during the extraordinary and unfortunate circumstances of this pandemic.
We are looking to hire an Engineering Generalist to join our rapidly growing team and take HealthSherpa’s technology to the next level. You are comfortable working across the development stack and passionate about learning new technologies. You believe in using data and analysis to form conclusions and refine thinking.
You will report directly to the CTO and have the opportunity to make substantial contributions to the entire tech stack, the products we ship, and ultimately the company.
Your contribution will positively impact hundred of thousands of American families, helping them navigate the complex and confusing healthcare industry and access health care when they need it.
- Build products both on the frontend and the backend across our full stack
- Maintain and refactor the codebase for better flexibility and Scalability.
- Pull and analyze data to improve the product and company operations
- Work with engineering, design and other partners to define & execute on product roadmaps based on user needs
- You have 3 to 5 years of software engineering experience
- You have experience with React.js or similar front-end frameworks
- You have experience with Rails or similar back-end frameworks
- You have experience with the full development lifecycle, supporting features post-launch
- You are passionate about helping people access quality, affordable healthcare
- You have health insurance experience
- You have Affordable Care Act and/or Health policy knowledge
- You have experience with Elasticsearch, Hadoop, R and scikit-learn
- You have a firm understanding of user experience design principles
What We Offer
- Great compensation package including meaningful equity in a high growth, profitable company
- Health, vision and dental coverage for you, your spouse and dependents
- 401K after grace period
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Catered or restaurant lunch, daily
- Parking / Commuter benefit
We're building a diverse and inclusive work environment where we learn from each other, respect one another and welcome different lived experiences. We encourage people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, identities, abilities and perspectives to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come join the team at HealthSherpa.
Physical requirements & work conditions
- Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment
- Physically able to reach, stretch, bend, walk, and navigate stairways
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employees may, among other things, be required to undergo background investigations or security checks, or meet certain standards dictated by law, regulation or contracts, and as a prerequisite to employment candidates may be asked to consent to a due diligence/background investigation. As a condition to hiring and continued employment, we require all employees to meet those requirements that are necessary to fulfill their individual roles.