Lead Software Engineer
Full Time Remote
HealthSherpa is a mission-driven company building the nation's most comprehensive health insurance marketplace. We exist to help as many people find and enroll in ACA health coverage, and our success speaks for itself: we've helped over 6 million people enroll in health coverage, and are now the largest ACA enrollment platform in the country after healthcare.gov.
Our team of 80 helps brings high-quality, comprehensive, and affordable health coverage within reach for low-income Americans. Your contribution will positively affect millions of people, helping them to navigate the complex and confusing health insurance industry and to access health care when they need it.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Lead Software Engineer or Engineering Manager to join our dynamic engineering organization of 15 engineers and lead a team of 2- 5 in the development of our health insurance software product. You'll lead the execution and delivery of a production-ready, maintainable system using Ruby on Rails and React that uses appropriate patterns and libraries to support its growth and maintenance by our company.
You'll facilitate the team's execution processes, making rapid technical and execution decisions, reporting on progress and avoiding roadblocks, and coding alongside your engineers to build and deliver the product. You'll report to the Director of Engineering, who will provide guidance, mentorship, training, and coaching in leading your team to success. You'll also have a peer group of other lead engineers in the organization to rely on for mutual support, bounce ideas, and collaborate.
- Lead. Lead an engineering team of 2-5 engineers in developing a high-profile product using Ruby on Rails and React.
- Manage. Oversee features and systems by implementing and facilitating agile, lean, and devops development practices.
- Cultivate. Ensure your engineers remain productive, effective, growing, and happy.
- Build. Pitch in by contributing to the codebase, ensuring the right foundational elements are being built in a maintainable, scalable manner and the system is evolving in an appropriate direction.
- Familiarity with lean, DevOps, and agile principles, and know the importance of batch size reduction, limiting WIP, and incorporating feedback to create value iteratively and incrementally.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and ReactJS, or equivalent frameworks and libraries
- Experience with data modeling and class design tradeoffs, principles, and practices to help guide the team's technical direction
- Experience and interest in leading, growing, and cultivating diverse teams
- Interest in managing towards organizational improvements in Deployment Frequency, Change Failure Rate, Mean Time to Restore, Lead Time, and Cycle Time.
What We Offer
- Remote-first company
- A salary range between $195,000 - $210,000, depending on experience
- Great compensation package with meaningful equity in a high growth, profitable company. Offers competitive to SF Bay Area regardless of your location.
- Excellent benefits package that includes health, vision and dental coverage for you, your spouse and dependents
- 401K w/ match after grace period
- Employee assistance program
- Parental leave
- 4 weeks paid vacation, plus additional holidays
- Monthly grocery / internet stipend
- Formal mentorship and training along three distinct tracks (management, engineering, and leadership)
We're building a diverse and inclusive work environment where we learn from each other. We welcome and encourage people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, identities, abilities and perspectives to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come join the team at HealthSherpa.