Senior Software Engineer, Back End
New York, NY /
* Technology – Engineering /
Heartbeat Health is a venture-funded health tech startup in New York City. We’re working to deliver the most effective, efficient, and engaging cardiovascular care in the world. More than 80% of cardiovascular disease deaths are attributable to preventable factors, yet cardiovascular disease is the costliest and deadliest worldwide because its prevention is neither obvious nor easy. Our team consists of passionate and proven physicians, engineers, scientists, designers, sales and account managers and founders attacking this problem from first principles, applying human-centered design, and developing evidence-based AI to solve this global issue. We have been featured in TechCrunch, CNBC, Fast Company, and Forbes.
Our experience with thousands of patients has helped to shape our approach and reinforce our belief that ground-breaking technology and human touch are both essential elements of truly transformative healthcare. We also recognize that stepwise progress requires addressing the two major drivers of cardiovascular disease prevention: knowledge and behavior. Therefore, we’ve created a mobile product that continuously measures cardiovascular risk factors to determine individual risk from population risk models. Our members follow easy steps to improve their heart health and receive feedback from a network of world-class cardiologists empowered with data-driven insights. This simple idea of connecting people and technology with purpose gives every Heartbeat employee the superpower to save millions of lives.
Heartbeat Health is seeking stellar Senior Software Engineers to join our team.
About the gig
- You will work closely with our CTO and Chief Architect to realize and improve upon our cutting edge architecture and infrastructure.
- Define, design, develop, and deploy reactive microservices that power the Heartbeat experience.
- Lead the engineering of scalable, extensible, modular, and performant software features, components, and systems.
- Contribute to a robust, test-driven deployment process and pipeline suitable to release early and often.
- Work with product leadership to deploy testable and instrumented features to assess product success metrics.
- Draft documentation and communicate plans to senior leadership.
- Help to grow the team by interviewing, onboarding, and mentoring other software engineers.
- Jump in to help the team fight any manner of fire that immediately and negatively affects the customer experience.
- Have 5+ years of industry experience building cloud services and web applications.
- Have experience building complex software systems on AWS, large-scale SQL and noSQL databases, performant and well-documented APIs and microservices.
- Are broadly knowledgeable about automated deployment, agile and scrum methods, serverless implementations, information security, and machine learning.
- Have fluency in at least one back end language. We like Kotlin, RxJava, and TypeScript, but are open to other languages.
- Demonstrate strong fundamentals in computer science, bonus points for an undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field.
- Can work closely with team members of various backgrounds, encouraging different perspectives and feedback to constantly improve product and process.
- Are comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Can work from our New York City office.
Why you'll love working here
- We're mission-driven: we're revolutionizing the way cardiovascular care is delivered
- Up for the challenge: make a big impact by joining a fast-growing team in its early stages
- Great people: become a part of something incredible, and do it with an exceptionally talented, multidisciplinary team.
- We care about diversity: diversity allows us to build an excellent patient experience. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- opt into comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits
- enjoy flexible leave and work from home policies
- work in a modern workspace in a prime location
- unlimited office snacks, tea + coffee
In addition to finding people who are truly excellent at what they do, our team is founded on a set of values we hold close to heart:
- Be amazing at what you do, without ego.
- Take ownership and be accountable to yourself and the team.
- Move fast with our stakeholders' best interests at heart.
- Be open to a breadth of ideas, but focused on delivery.
- Measure and improve what really matters.
- Be candid and honest with people.
- Demonstrate high integrity, always.
- Help others and appreciate those who help you.
- Be a kind and decent human.
- Have fun.
We are looking for an exceptional, experienced engineer with a demonstrated track record of shipping cloud services and APIs. You have the dev chops to build the services and apps yourself with little direction, but you enjoy working with a talented team. You’re open to new ideas, thoughtful in your approach, pragmatic in your delivery, constantly learning, and up for a challenge. You elevate the work of those around you. You want the superpower to save millions of lives.
Heartbeat Return to office plans: Our team has been working from home since March and our plans are to keep our offices closed through the end of the year. We anticipate reopening up our NYC office once it is safe to do so. Given the expectation we'll be working from home for quite some time, please don't let location keep you from applying!
If you don't tick every box above, we'd still encourage you to apply. We're building a diverse team whose skills balance and complement one another.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Heartbeat will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.