Senior Software Engineer, Front End & Mobile
New York, NY
Technology – Engineering
Heartbeat Health is a venture-funded health tech startup in New York City. We are working to deliver the most effective, efficient, and delightful cardiovascular disease prevention in the world. More than 80% of cardiovascular disease deaths are attributable to preventable factors, yet cardiovascular disease is the costliest and deadliest worldwide because its prevention is neither obvious nor easy. Our team consists of passionate and proven physicians, engineers, scientists, designers, and founders attacking this problem from first principles, applying human-centered design, and developing evidence-based AI to solve this global issue. We have been featured in TechCrunch, CNBC, Fast Company, and Forbes.
Our experience with thousands of patients has helped to shape our approach and reinforce our belief that ground-breaking technology and human touch are both essential elements of truly transformative healthcare. We also recognize that stepwise progress requires addressing the two major drivers of cardiovascular disease prevention, knowledge and behavior. Therefore, we are creating a mobile product that continuously measures cardiovascular risk factors to determine individual risk from population risk models. Our members follow easy steps to improve their heart health and receive feedback from a network of world-class cardiologists empowered with data-driven insights. This simple idea of connecting people and technology with purpose gives every Heartbeat user the superpower to save millions of lives.
We are growing quickly and looking for a diverse group of extraordinarily talented people who are equally passionate to achieve our vision and who share the values that shape our culture:
- Be amazing at what you do, without ego.
- Take ownership and be accountable to yourself and the team.
- Move fast with our stakeholders' best interests at heart.
- Be open to a breadth of ideas, but focused on delivery.
- Measure and improve what really matters.
- Be candid and honest with people.
- Demonstrate high integrity, always.
- Help others and appreciate those who help you.
- Be a kind and decent human.
- Have fun.
About the gig
- You will work closely with our CTO and Chief Architect to realize and improve upon our cutting edge architecture.
- Define, design, develop, and deploy user-facing, cross-platform applications for desktop and mobile devices.
- Lead the engineering of scalable, extensible, modular, and performant software features, components, and systems.
- Contribute to a robust, test-driven deployment process and pipeline suitable to release early and often.
- Shepherd apps and features through cross-platform QA testing and regular and frequent submission to their respective app stores.
- Work with product leadership to deploy testable and instrumented features to assess product success metrics.
- Draft documentation and communicate plans to senior leadership.
- Help to grow the team by interviewing, onboarding, and mentoring other software engineers.
- Jump in to help the team fight any manner of fire that immediately and negatively affects the customer experience.
- Have 5+ years of industry experience building cross-platform, user-facing applications for desktop and mobile devices.
- Have experience creating apps on iOS and Android.
- Are broadly knowledgeable about automated deployment, agile and scrum methods, cross-platform implementations, information security, and UX design.
- Have fluency in the latest web standards and several front end frameworks and technologies. We like React, React Native, and GraphQL, but are open to other frameworks and technologies.
- Demonstrate strong fundamentals in computer science, preferably with an undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field.
- Can work closely with team members of various backgrounds, encouraging different perspectives and feedback to constantly improve product and process.
- Are comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Can work from our New York City office.
We are looking for an exceptional, experienced engineer with a demonstrated track record of shipping cross-platform, user-facing applications. You have the dev chops to build the apps yourself with little direction, but you enjoy working with a talented team. You’re open to new ideas, thoughtful in your approach, pragmatic in your delivery, constantly learning, and up for a challenge. You elevate the work of those around you. You want the superpower to save millions of lives.