Senior Data Scientist - Remote
Engineering – Data Science /
Who We Are
Bestow is a digital life insurance company built on full stack technology and AI. In a world in need of greater financial resilience and protection, Bestow democratizes access to smart financial products and powers some of the world's leading consumer platforms. We are reimagining and rebuilding a 400-year-old, $8 trillion industry to create a brighter future for millions of families. And we're just getting started.
The Bestow team is a diverse band of first principles thinkers on a mission to do good. We're fortunate to be backed by industry leading global investors and partners.
We are open Remote, Austin or Dallas, TX
As our Sr. Data Scientist, you will be focusing our health initiatives. You will bring a wealth of knowledge in health data and the regulation.
Data Science at Bestow is a rapidly evolving team with a diverse set of problems to solve. We analyze and manipulate massive datasets, build algorithmic models to make predictions, and optimize decision making by reinforcing choices with data.
At Bestow you will be working on refining insights from our number of health information datasets. We use cutting edge machine learning and data warehouse technologies to create a cohesive environment for experimentation and analysis. Within this environment you will have the computational power and freedom to explore and experiment while researching solutions to some of our most difficult problems. Communicating results effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences is a skill all of our data scientists must possess as we work closely with the entire organization.
Challenges On Which You Can Expect to Work:
We leverage Google BigQuery as our data warehouse. We use Jupyter notebooks and Python code to compose sophisticated machine learning pipelines and experiments. Collaborate across teams to identify project requirements and metrics. Perform data analysis and cleaning using a host of ETL tools. Train and tweak machine learning models to make predictions;Use statistical evaluation techniques to refine models over time based on performance metrics. Production engineering - after a model is made, we see it through to production;Communicate with the organization by interpreting models and results for non-technical audiences
We work closely with analytics teams by adapting their insights into predictive analytics through machine learning. This involves acquiring knowledge from various domains and refining it into high-level motivation for decisions within the organization or models to increase our products’ efficacy. We have a vast amount of data and we all work together to process and make sense of this information.
Part of our role at Bestow is pioneering the future by using machine learning techniques to research new solutions to old problems that have been around for a hundred years. This is a difficult area of study that requires experience with health data and the regulation that surrounds building products in the insurance industry. Our research efforts are tightly integrated with the direction of the business; it’s important that our research is guided by our goals and that we maintain an open channel of communication with stakeholders throughout the research process.
A Little About You
- 6+ years of data science experience
- Programming and Statistics/Mathematics experience
- Professional experience with a variety of machine learning algorithms
- You like building and evaluating experiments under statistical rigor
- Solid Python 3 and Software Engineering principles
- Experience with notebook and analytical environments (Jupyter, R)
- Experience with health data (PHI) or insurance dataClear, concise written and verbal communication
- Desire and willingness to learn
- Display initiative and autonomy as well as cross-team collaboration
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident (Bestow does not sponsor applicants for work visas at this time)
Nice To Have
- Have worked with cluster orchestration and management framework like Kubernetes
- You have created software products, e.g. libraries or web applications
- Experience deploying models into production for use in product critical sections
- Competitive salary plus stock options
- Generous PTO
- Flexible schedule and work/life balance
- 100% company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- Office snacks and weekly team lunches
- Team building events and activities
We value diversity at Bestow. We hire, recruit, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law. We understand the importance of creating a safe and comfortable work environment and encourage individualism and authenticity in every member of our team. Bestow does not sponsor applicants for work visas at this time.