VP of Data
Austin, TX or Dallas, TX /
Data Science – Data Science /
Who We Are
Bestow is a digital life insurance company built on full stack technology and AI. In a world in need of greater financial resilience and protection, Bestow democratizes access to smart financial products and powers some of the world’s leading consumer platforms. We are reimagining and rebuilding a 400-year-old, $7 trillion industry to create a brighter future for millions of families. And we’re just getting started.
The Bestow team is a diverse band of first principles thinkers on a mission to do good. We’re fortunate to be backed by leading investors and partners including Valar Ventures, NEA, 8VC and MunichRe.
Do you love data and the science of data? Do you enjoy building diverse teams working on hard problems? Are you passionate about creating solutions that will help protect people and their families? If yes, then read on.
Bestow is hiring a VP of Data who understands how to apply modern data science techniques to real world problems. We are looking for a highly-motivated leader that wants to grow a nascent data team into a best-in-class data science organization.
As the VP of Data, you will be responsible for creating and executing vision of how data can be leveraged to transform the life insurance industry. Your team will consist of data analysts, engineers and scientists responsible for collecting, managing, and analyzing data to provide solutions for our business needs. We are a market leader in revolutionizing the way insurance is sold online and we need a leader that will elevate our data-focused culture.
This position reports directly to our President and is expected to have a high impact on the organization.
What You Will Do:
- Set the vision and strategy for data/data science with a focus on creating customer value
- Provide vital business intelligence that drive resourcing and product strategy decisions
- Integrate data collection, data quality, and core model output into production; apply data mining techniques to uncover actionable business insights
- Ensure and improve data integrity, data accuracy, data governance, and data quality
- Grow a data engineering team capable of building a scalable data infrastructure
- Establish best practices for big-data technologies, tools, and own processes related to model section, accuracy, and efficiency
- Identify new data sources
- Collaborate with all teams to find growth levers and optimization opportunities
- Offer actionable business recommendations based on empirical data and external factors
- Collaborate with engineering, product and finance to provide informed, data-backed insights on that drive revenue and improve consumer experience
A Little About You:
- 10+ years experience in algorithmic engineering, data science, or machine learning
- 5+ years of experience in managing, and mentoring data science, data engineering, and analytics teams
- Experience in data mining and machine learning tools, pipeline workflows for modeling, tuning, logging and deployment to end users and languages including MySQL, Python, R, etc.
- Ability to apply statistical modeling and algorithmic tools to solve business problems
- Understanding of SQL, asking and answering questions of large datasets across a variety of systems and platforms, such as relational and non-relational databases and cloud-based object storage services
- Experience in cross-functional organizations where your team collaborates and integrates with other teams across the organization
- Have strong technical domain know-how to coach and grow the team
- Familiarity with bringing data science tools into production
What We Can Offer You:
- Competitive salary
- Generous PTO
- Flexible schedule and work/life balance
- 100% company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- Choose your own computer setup (Mac or PC)
- Office snacks and weekly team lunches
- Team building events and activities
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bestow does not currently sponsor applicants for work visas.