Language Access Coordinator, Family Services
Family Services /
Full-time - limited term /
Hello Neighbor is seeking a dynamic and organized Language Access Coordinator to guide and implement language access services for Hello Neighbor individuals and families enrolled in various programs. This position plays a pivotal role in facilitating effective communication and educational opportunities to ensure that individuals with limited English proficiency can fully engage with our programs, services, and our staff.
This position is responsible for coordinating interpretation services, ESL (English as a Second Language) classes, and ensuring that linguistic and cultural barriers are overcome to support the integration and education of diverse communities. The Language Access Coordinator will work closely with the Director of Family Services to coordinate Hello Neighbor’s interpretation program which includes recruitment, following up with prospective interpreters, collecting required documents, training, and preparing invoices. In addition, this position will also be responsible for helping to create an ESL program that is context-specific and culturally responsive to the needs of our families.
Founded in 2017, Hello Neighbor works to improve the lives of recently resettled refugee families by matching them with dedicated neighbors to guide and support them in their new lives. 2023 marks our 5th year of operation and our first with a $3 million budget. We have an ambitious year of anniversary activations planned and are excited to post this newly created position to join the team and hit the ground running. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast scaling early-stage nonprofit. You will join a small team of passionate individuals, all dedicated to the support of our newest neighbors.
This is an in-house position at our Pittsburgh, PA office in Larimer. We are currently on a hybrid work schedule of 9am-5pm Monday through Friday; in the office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays and work-from-home on Mondays and Fridays. We require COVID-19 vaccination and a booster for full-time employees.
Reports To: Director of Family Services
- Assist in developmentation and implementation of a comprehensive language access strategy focusing on languages of high demand based on changing demographics of newly arrived and enrolled clients
- Work with external partners to coordinate ESL classes for HN individuals and families while collaborating with instructors to develop curricula and learning materials
- Monitor ESL class enrollment and assess the effectiveness of programs
- Evaluate existing language access processes and make improvements as necessary
- Maintain a pool of qualified interpreters and translators and ensure their requirements are kept up to date
- Communicate with external language access providers as necessary to resolve billing issues and maintain current service information
- Coordinate and provide training and guidance to staff on language access protocols and resources and to all new HN contracted interpreters
- Maintain accurate records and documentation related to ESL class participation, language access services, including usage statistics and feedback.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (e.g., linguistics, communications, or social services)
- Requires 3-4 years of related and/or applicable work experience in either language access coordination or a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and work with refugees and immigrants
- Alignment with and support of Hello Neighbor’s core values
- Flexibility and ability to work nights and weekends as needed to accommodate ESL class schedules
- Digital literacy and the ability to learn new software
- Experience communicating effectively through the use of interpreters and translated materials
- Excellent writing, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Car, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance preferred but not required
- Bilingual in a priority language preferred (Dari, Pashto, Arabic, Swahili, Rohingya, Burmese, Ukrainian, or French) with a deep understanding of cultural nuances
- A team player
- Energetic, motivated and hardworking
- Ability to take direction and work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Willingness to work in a fast paced, multicultural environment
- Passion for community building, refugee and immigrant rights, and working with youth
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Service learning or lived migration experience
Hello Neighbor is proud to offer the following benefits
- Competitive salaries
- 75% medical insurance coverage (Health, Dental, and Vision) for you, your spouse or domestic partner, and dependents
- 401(k) savings plan with 5% employer matching program after 1 year of employment
- 15 days of PTO per year
- 1 week annual office closure (last week of December)
- 2 mental health days
- 8 paid federal holidays
- 4 paid sick or personal days
- 2 paid days for community service
- Unlimited paid time off for civic engagement
- All benefits pro-rated for part-time staff over 20 hours a week
$20.67 - $22.60 an hour
This is a limited term full-time, non-exempt position with a starting hourly rate of $20.67-22.60, payable biweekly.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Hello Neighbor, we are committed to being an inclusive workplace where diversity in all its forms is championed. Hello Neighbor is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you require special accommodation, please let us know.
All Applications Welcome
Data shows that women and people of color more frequently do not apply to a job because they don’t feel that they meet all of the qualifications listed. Our job descriptions are general overviews, not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute to the growth of our organization, we want to hear from you!