Pittsburgh, PA /
Family Services /
Hello Neighbor is hiring Interpreters who will support Hello Neighbor’s Resettlement and Family Services programs to work alongside staff and provide interpretation and translation services to refugees and immigrants enrolled in Hello Neighbor programs.
Current language needs include: Arabic, Burmese, Dari, Nepali, Pashto, Swahili, Ukrainian
This is a contracted position which involves in-person interpretation assignments at our Pittsburgh, PA office in Larimer and in the community as well as over the phone and virtual appointments.
COVID-19 vaccine and booster strongly preferred for this position. Paid training is provided.
Reports To: Family Services Director
- Render accurate meanings and concepts, rules of grammar, clarity, and tone from source language to target language while staying true to the original intent of the content
- Maintain transparency during all interpretation interactions with no additions or omissions
- Employ clear enunciation, pronunciation, and polite forms of expression in a pleasant and professional manner
- Ability to render sight translations of documents and other written materials
- Ability to explain cultural concepts and act as cultural broker to avoid miscommunication
- Ability to remain neutral, objective, and unbiased at all times
- Remain calm during emergency and crisis situations
- Excellent listening, retention, and note-taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy
- Reliable access to internet for virtual interpretation
- Fluency in written and verbal communication in English and minimum of one non-English language
- Highschool diploma, GED, or equivalent; Bachelor’s Degree in a language, linguistic studies, or communications a plus
- Valid certificate of interpreter training from professional interpretation agency a plus
- Car, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance
- Ability to communicate with diverse communities
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Hello Neighbor, we are committed to being an inclusive workplace where diversity in all its forms is championed. Hello Neighbor is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you require special accommodation, please let us know.
All Applications Welcome
Data shows that women more frequently do not apply to a job because they don’t feel that they meet all of the qualifications listed. Our job descriptions are general overviews, not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute to the growth of our organization, we want to hear from you!