Community Navigator (Afghan)
Pittsburgh, PA /
Family Services /
Hello Neighbor is hiring a Community Navigator who will support Hello Neighbor’s Resettlement and Family Services departments to assist Afghan community members who are enrolled in Hello Neighbor programs to reach self-sufficiency by providing some direct services and helping clients to access external community resources. The Community Navigator will work alongside staff and provide interpretation and translation services to refugees and immigrants enrolled in Hello Neighbor programs.
Founded in 2017, Hello Neighbor works to improve the lives of recently resettled refugee families by matching them with dedicated neighbors to guide and support them in their new lives. We’ve expanded from our mentorship program to now include refugee resettlement services, family service programs, a national program supporting other refugee and immigrant nonprofits around the country.
This is a contracted position which involves working in-person at Hello Neighbor’s office as well as within the community. COVID-19 vaccine and booster strongly preferred for this position. Paid training is provided.
Reports To: Family Services Director
- Meet with families and individuals at the Hello Neighbor office and in the community to assess needs and determine the appropriate level of support
- Assist clients by providing navigation support in the form of referrals internally to other Hello Neighbor programs and externally to other resources and service providers.
- Assist with tasks including reviewing mail, writing checks, explaining paperwork, completing applications, and scheduling appointments while teaching self-sufficiency skills
- Complete relevant documentation including case notes, program data, updating client records and files, and consistent contact with program staff
- Communicate directly with refugee and immigrant clients utilizing interpretation services as needed and provide interpretation support in Dari and/or Pashto for program staff
- Distribute in-kind and direct client assistance as needed
- Advocate for cultural and linguistically appropriate services when interacting with external providers and stakeholders, on behalf of clients
- Fluency in Dari and/or Pashto required
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Car, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance required
- Ability to communicate with diverse communities
- Commitment to inclusion and equity
- Availability to work Wednesday afternoon/evening is preferre
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Hello Neighbor, we are committed to being an inclusive workplace where diversity in all its forms is championed. Hello Neighbor is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you require special accommodation, please let us know.
All Applications Welcome
Data shows that women more frequently do not apply to a job because they don’t feel that they meet all of the qualifications listed. Our job descriptions are general overviews, not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute to the growth of our organization, we want to hear from you!