Family Services /
Hello Neighbor is seeking a bilingual or multilingual individual proficient in at least one of the following languages: Dari, Pashto, Ukrainian, Spanish, Haitian-Creole, Haitian-French as well as English to take on the role of Wellness Liaison. The Wellness Liaison will support their community and also serve as a bridge to external providers. The Wellness Liaison will serve as a cultural mediator, community coordinator, and provider of practical and emotional support for immigrants who have resettled in Pittsburgh.
Within the scope of their role, the Wellness Liaison will engage in outreach and community involvement activities on behalf of Hello Neighbor programs. This will encompass individual, family, group, and community-level outreach activities which focus on group facilitation, wellness check-ins, and skills (such as check writing and bill paying) and educational assistance. The Wellness Liaison will also help clients connect with other community members, organizations, and resources by guiding them in navigating their neighborhoods, assisting with appointment scheduling, and providing transportation orientation that supports independent navigation.
The range of assignments make this role an exceptional launch pad for personal and professional growth – within Hello Neighbor and beyond. Commitment to staff development is central to the culture we are creating at Hello Neighbor.
Founded in 2017, Hello Neighbor works to improve the lives of recently resettled refugee families by matching them with dedicated neighbors to guide and support them in their new lives. We’ve expanded from our mentorship program to now include refugee resettlement services, other family service programs, and a national program supporting other refugee and immigrant nonprofits around the country.
This is a hybrid position with frequent community work and periodic in-person programming. Qualified candidates must be local to the Pittsburgh area. We require current COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.
Reports To: Lead Case Manager
- Offer practical and non-clinical emotional support to clients and conduct wellness-check calls and home visits
- Utilize your own experiences to build collective knowledge, model behavior, and contribute to a sense of belonging for newer immigrant families
- Conduct outreach within affected communities to build a caseload of clients to enroll
- Coordinate and lead community gatherings and events that provide a collaborative learning environment
- Act as cultural broker to assist with understanding for staff and clients
- Collaborate with service providers to address, mediate and resolve issues as necessary
- Maintain accurate and timely program documentation
- Participate in regular supervision meetings and staff meetings to communicate progress on program goals and outcomes
- Advocate for culturally appropriate care standards and coordinate interpretation and translation services for families as needed
- Adhere to Hello Neighbor’s confidentiality guidelines and ensure the appropriate handling of sensitive information
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of position expectations
- Mandatory: Must be a community member and multilingual in English and at least 1 of the following languages: Dari, Pashto, Ukrainian, Spanish, Haitian-Creole, Haitian-French
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, characterized by compassionate, courteous, cordial, and professional interactions with diverse colleagues, program members, and the community
- Flexibility and ability to work nights and weekends as necessary
- Possesses cultural competencies, encompassing knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors relevant to the communities served
- Thorough understanding of issues pertinent to refugees and immigrants
- Able to cultivate excellent relationships with clients, staff, and partners and collaborate effectively
- Exhibits adept task management, including priority setting, meeting deadlines, and efficient time scheduling for multiple responsibilities
- Digital literacy and the ability to learn new software
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment
- Car, valid driver’s license, and proof of insurance are preferred
- Alignment with and support of Hello Neighbor’s core values
- A team player
- Energetic, motivated and hardworking
- Ability to take direction and work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Passion for community building, refugee and immigrant rights
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent writing, communication and organizational skills
- Living migration experience and fluency in other languages a plus
- This is a 6 month contract (with the possibility of extension) position at our Pittsburgh, PA office in Larimer.
- We require COVID-19 vaccination and a booster for employees
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis through January 26, 2024
- Selected candidates will be invited to interview on a rolling basis
- Estimated start date: February 19, 2024
$25 - $25 an hour
This is a limited term contractor role, with compensation of $25/hour for between 300-600 hours of work.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Hello Neighbor, we are committed to being an inclusive workplace where diversity in all its forms is championed. Hello Neighbor is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you require special accommodation, please let us know.
All Applications Welcome
Data shows that women and people of color more frequently do not apply to a job because they don’t feel that they meet all of the qualifications listed. Our job descriptions are general overviews, not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute to the growth of our organization, we want to hear from you!