Autonomous Vehicle Engineer
Menlo Park, CA
Helm is an early stage autonomous vehicle startup currently in stealth. Our deep learning approach to self-driving is uniquely data- and capital-efficient, allowing us to get to market quickly. Our team consists of researchers from top schools like Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and Caltech and engineers from companies like Google, Stripe, Quora, and more.
Our software is already available as an SDK, which has been purchased or deployed by 6 of the top 10 car manufacturers in the world. While our technology is being scaled to solve all of the subtasks and corner cases needed for L4 deployment, we market our software for partial autonomy in consumer vehicles. Helm's goal is to integrate the software you help build into millions of consumer vehicles in the coming years.
Sample footage from our L2+ system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVT4zc_EVA
- Develop sensor fusion, path planning, and control algorithms across the spectrum of L2+, L3, and L4 products and software demonstrations.
- Develop new sensor fusion algorithms to integrate Helm perception functionality into the driving system, focused on automotive-grade radar and lidar, including next-generation sensors.
- Use Helm cloud computing abstractions to design and implement algorithm validation software at scale, for testing new functionalities. Provide design guidance for effective simulation testing of algorithms.
- Design Helm software integration plans for OEM vehicles. Identify algorithmic changes needed for adapting to various sensor sets and middlewares. Work with systems engineers to make the integrations a reality.
What We're Looking For
- Master's degree with at least three years of industry experience, or PhD with at least one year of industry experience. Fields of study: EE, MechE, CS, Physics.
- Fluency in Python, familiarity with C++. Experience with numerical algorithms in Matlab, Python, or Julia.
- Preferred: Familiarity with real time / embedded operating systems.
- Preferred: Prior experience with sensor fusion and path planning or related mathematical problems.
- Preferred: Experience designing mathematical models for integrating noisy measurements to produce useful control signals.
- Preferred: Engineering experience integrating numerical algorithms into embedded platforms as well as simulation test harnesses.
- Work on one of the most interesting, impactful problems of the decade. Our algorithms ARE our product.
- Time Off - 2 weeks of PTO + a paid company shutdown the last week of the year.
- Daily Free Dinner - We also cover delivery fees and taxes for lunch delivery orders.
- Gym Stipend - Helm helps defray monthly fitness memberships.
- Yearly company retreat - Partners are welcome to join!
- Subsidized Health Insurance - Our out of pocket costs start as low as $16/month.
- 401k Management - Our employees love using Guideline to manage their investments.
- Equipment - Helm purchases any ergonomic equipment you need.
Please apply using the link below.