Menlo Park, CA /
Helm is an early stage autonomous vehicle startup currently in stealth. Our deep learning approach to self-driving is uniquely data- and capital-efficient, allowing us to get to market quickly. Our team consists of researchers from top schools like Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and Caltech and engineers from companies like Google, Stripe, Quora, and more.
Our software is already available as an SDK, which has been purchased or deployed by 6 of the top 10 car manufacturers in the world. While our technology is being scaled to solve all of the subtasks and corner cases needed for L4 deployment, we market our software for partial autonomy in consumer vehicles. Helm's goal is to integrate the software you help build into millions of consumer vehicles in the coming years.
Sample footage from our L2+ system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVT4zc_EVA
In This Role, You Will:
- Apply and extend the Helm proprietary algorithmic toolkit for unsupervised learning to perception problems at scale.
- Carefully execute deep learning experiments designed to (i) provide new functionality for customers, such as intent modeling or depth perception or to (ii) address relevant corner cases in the system as a whole.
- Work closely with software and autonomous vehicle engineers to deploy your algorithms on internal and customer vehicle platforms.
We're Looking for Someone Who:
- Has a sense of practical optimism. Robust perception is a difficult scientific problem, and many experiments do not work- however, the ones that do more than make up for it.
- Is comfortable operating under uncertainty to get to the desired result at any cost.
- Is a thoughtful, methodical, careful experimenter.
- Has experience customizing neural networks with Tensorflow or PyTorch.
- Is fluent in Python.
- Has general experience with numerical algorithms in Matlab, Python, or Julia.
- Has earned a graduate degree in mathematics, computer science, or a related field (this is strongly preferred, but not required for an otherwise truly exceptional candidate).
- Has 4 years of industry experience in a data science or engineering position.
- Is located in the Bay Area (remote is ok for exceptional candidates).
- The opportunity to work on one of the most interesting, impactful problems of the decade.
- The opportunity to collaborate with a team from top institutions like Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Google, Stripe, Quora, and more.
- The exciting environment of a fast growing tech startup.
- Great medical, vision, and dental insurance options.
- Assorted perks, including: daily in-office free dinner, gym-membership stipend, yearly company retreats (post-COVID), 401k management, custom workstation setup, and more to come as we scale the team.
Please apply using the link below.