We are looking to hire an experienced Android engineer to help enhance our Android app and our Android SDK. Our goal is to craft a wonderful experience for our Android app users and also make it easy for Android developers to add Help Scout capabilities to their apps. Your work will empower over 8,000 businesses around the world to provide exceptional, human customer service, while supporting the other senior engineers on your team.
Tools we use
- Kotlin, Java, Pusher, AWS, Firebase
- Slack, Trello, Jira, Github, Travis
About the role
- Our engineering team is currently thirty-seven people, just over half the company. You will be working on our five-person mobile team which includes another Android engineer, two other iOS engineers and a designer. You’ll be involved in every decision made regarding implementation, testing, and backlog prioritization.
- A separate team of engineers owns the back end API endpoints, so your work will be mostly focused on the app, SDK implementation, and design details. You’ll also get everything you need from the design team with regard to Android-specific visual design and interactions.
- You’ll work with customers and QA testers to ensure releases meet customer demands and our high quality bar.
- Our engineering teams work in two-week iterations, communicate mostly via Slack and are committed to remote, agile development. When you are ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review - using video and screen-sharing as needed. Your development builds can be easily tested on environments that closely match production. You’ll work autonomously for the most part and we trust you to get work done when/where you can be productive.
- Your team performs engineering support when a question can’t be answered by our in-house support team and passes triage. We’ll get you up-to-speed with engineering support so you can help our customers and improve the product along the way.
- Everything is secondary to the customer experience. We expect you to have a keen sense of how your code will impact the experience in terms of performance, security and usability.
- You'll be working with product people that challenge you to get better every day. The founders are technical and committed to creating a magical experience for customers. You'll deploy work that moves the needle for businesses around the world.
- You are located between UTC-5 and UTC+1. For example, you could work 9-5 from either Nova Scotia/Boston/Brazil or UK/France/Nigeria.
- You bring a level of Android-specific expertise that will help us craft an outstanding experience for customers and fellow Android app developers. You have years of experience working with Android and Java, but you are excited to develop primarily in Kotlin.
- You have a great understanding of how “always online” products like Help Scout communicate with web services in an unpredictable Android reality. You can help us design everything to fail gracefully and leverage local storage to provide customers with a seamless offline / online experience.
- You delight not only in the way an application works, but in how it looks, and have an excellent understanding of Android interaction design and how to create a perfect user experience.
- You stay up-to-date on the Android platform and can provide insightful advice about leveraging native platform APIs or evaluating and leveraging wrappers.
- You have experience digging through crash reports and metrics to find ways to incrementally improve your apps.
- You believe remote teams are the future of work, or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working with remote teams or can adjust your work/management style to be remote-friendly.
- You’re a great communicator and have an excellent command of written and spoken English. As a remote company, we rely on clear communication for collaboration and execution.
- You are helpful and empathetic and care about building on our company culture that embraces these qualities.
- Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we offer a healthcare stipend.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance - We cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider. (currently US only)
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care - 12 weeks for primary caretaker and 4 weeks for secondary caretaker.
- 401k with 1% match - via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools - Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent equipment of choice).
- Home Office Stipend - You'll also receive $1,000 to spend on outfitting your home office, as well as up to $350 a month to rent a co-working space if you like.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 75 people in 40+ cities around the world, all with a passion for excellence in their craft.
We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences.
Since launching in April of 2011, Help Scout now powers 8,000+ support teams in over 140 countries. Our software is used and trusted by businesses of every shape and size.
Designed to go the distance
Our mission is to foster the world’s customer-centric businesses by providing tools that serve customers in the most human, helpful way. While growth is important, team and values are paramount. We’re always striving to do impactful work we’re proud of in lieu of chasing overnight success.
We’re builders without borders
Our entire team is free to work remotely from wherever they choose. We overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing. The reward is worth the effort—we’ll take talent, skill, and diverse perspectives over local geography any day.
Above all, we want Help Scout to be a place where passionate people can do their very best work. You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better. We take work/life harmony seriously, too, as we want every career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.