Customer Champion - Success Focus
Support is Help Scout’s bread and butter. We’re pleased to be searching for our tenth support team member, and we’re looking for someone with a strong support foundation who has an interest in Customer Success. Our ideal hire is motivated by what we’re doing as a company, and eager to shape the customer experience at Help Scout on the front lines.
About the role
- This is a remote position. We’re looking for someone to work either East Coast, Central, Mountain, or Pacific hours.
- Our entire support team works collaboratively to help customers, and you’d be the second person on the support team with an interest in Customer Success initiatives.
- We believe Support-Driven Growth creates a company environment that puts the customer’s needs first as we expand.
- Customer success has always been important to our Support team, but we’re hoping to expand our efforts even more as we grow. You’ll be working one-on-one with customers, helping them get the most out of Help Scout. You might wing unplanned Skype calls and live screen-shares, or schedule meetings to talk about unique use cases.
- You’ll become a product expert in all things Help Scout. You’ll spend most of your days sending human replies to questions via email, but you’ll also dig deeper with individual customers on their uses cases in chat, phone calls, and guided tours of the software.
- We won’t overburden you with empty policies or procedures. Doing what’s in the best interest of the customer is at the heart of what we do. We’ll give you plenty of autonomy to simply do what’s right, no questions asked.
- We’re sticklers about the customer experience. We’re always refining and polishing the product to perfection. As someone on the front line, your understanding of the product and our customers is incredibly valuable.
- You’ll regularly work with the Marketing and Sales teams to make sure we’re giving the best advice to potential and existing customers. Your contributions will be informed by your deep product knowledge, so you’ll recognize customers that are a good fit for the software (and those that aren’t!).
What you'll do
- The entire team works out of the main queue, so you’ll spend much of your day helping current customers via email (if you’re curious to hear how our team works together, check this out).
- We’re growing and expanding the team, and some of this is new territory and we’re learning as we go. Our goal for this position is that you’ll spend several months training full-time in the queue to get up to speed. After that, your day-to-day would be 60% in the queue working directly with customers, 40% on customer success (webinars, trial demos, potential customer/trial customer chat).
- Chat with potential customers to see if Help Scout is a good fit.
- Help onboard trial customers and set up their accounts.
- We work together as a team, and that means we challenge each other to improve as a team. With your focus on success, you’ll inform our team’s discussion on how we can up our game.
- When you hear “customer success”, you think “doing right by the customer." You’re excited by how quality customer interactions can drive business growth, and you’re naturally drawn to metrics and the story they tell.
- You firmly agree with the Patty McCord quote: “Everyone in customer service, from day one, should understand exactly how the experience they provide customers directly impacts the bottom line.”
- We’re looking for someone with at least one year of support, success, or sales experience at a SaaS company, but will consider relevant experience.
- When you don’t know something, you’re excited for the chance to learn and tackle a new challenge.
- You’re a tried-and-true Support Pro who always wanted a bit more space to dig into customer use cases - or think deeply about how to help a customer succeed using an app.
- You thrive in an environment where you can do great work without a ton of oversight, and you love experimenting with new ideas. You take initiative and ownership to see things through to completion, and we give you the support and autonomy to do your best work.
- You’re patient and resilient, with an excellent sense of humor. You’re an exceptional listener and educator, and you’re naturally curious with a strong desire to learn.
- You’re a people person. You thrive on the instant gratification you get from providing excellent support through chat, but you also love the chance to dive deeper with a customer one-on-one through email or video. You’re the type of person that goes out of their way to make things right, always.
- You’re an effective communicator, fluent in written English. Your writing is clear, simple, and friendly. You don’t use a five-dollar word when a fifty-cent word will do.
- You have grit and tenacity. If it needs doing, you do it.
- Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Work anywhere - Work from our office in Boston or anywhere else, provided you have 4 hours of overlap with the team. We’ll even buy your home office furniture or help you pay for a co-working space.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider.
- International Benefit Stipend - If you’re based outside the US, you’ll receive a monthly stipend that goes towards covering medical insurance, long and short-term disability, and accountant costs.
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks if you have or adopt a baby, 4 weeks if your partner has a baby.
- 401k with 1% match- 1% Retirement Plan matching for both US and International Employees
- Personal development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools - Each employee receives a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need as well as high-end furniture to get your home office started
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 70 people in 40+ cities around the world, all with a passion for excellence in their craft.
We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences.
Since launching in April of 2011, Help Scout now powers 8,000+ support teams in over 140 countries. Our software is used and trusted by businesses of every shape and size.
Designed to go the distance
Our mission is to foster the world’s customer-centric businesses by providing tools that serve customers in the most human, helpful way. While growth is important, team and values are paramount. We’re always striving to do impactful work we’re proud of in lieu of chasing overnight success.
We’re builders without borders
Our entire team is free to work remotely from wherever they choose. We overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing. The reward is worth the effort—we’ll take talent, skill, and diverse perspectives over local geography any day.
Above all, we want Help Scout to be a place where passionate people can do their very best work. You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better. We take work/life harmony seriously, too, as we want every career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.