Head of Product Marketing
Help Scout is a product-led company with 10,000+ paying customers who regularly rave about our platform. Our first product marketing leader will come on board and help us earn the next 10,000 customers—and more.
We have some established processes and roles that support product marketing throughout the organization, and we're looking for an experienced product marketer to take us to the next level. You'll be responsible for core components of our go-to-market strategy, including audience segmentation and research; product positioning and messaging; feature launches; competitive intelligence; and sales enablement.
This is a cross-functional role: you'll collaborate closely with our product, engineering, design, support, leadership, and (of course) marketing teams, and play a key role in the testing and evolution of our product positioning.
As our Product Marketing leader, you will:
- Develop a deep understanding of our products, buyers, and markets. You’ll be a trusted partner to our product team, collaborating regularly on feature launch strategies, customer insights, market research, and industry trends.
- Own marketing strategy for feature launches. You’ll define the process for working effectively with our product, engineering, support, sales, and marketing teams to ensure the everyone is on the same page with how we’re communicating our new feature launches. That includes defining the target audience; developing messaging around the value of the new feature; pulling together the launch plan; coordinating all marketing activities; and communicating the results throughout the organization.
- Drive our approach to audience segmentation. You’ll be responsible for articulating our buyer personas, and developing materials and frameworks to help scale the understanding of those personas across the organization. This will include directing quantitative and qualitative analysis around motivations; perceptions; and business value of different market segments.
- Enable our customer-facing teams. That includes overseeing competitive intelligence and training; making sure key use cases and core benefits are communicated clearly in all product-specific messaging; and producing internal and external product materials including case studies; sales collateral; and internal training sessions.
- Build and lead a high-performance team. Motivate, mentor, and grow the PMM team, ensuring they are set up for success.
- You’ve hired, developed, and directly managed high-performing B2B SaaS marketing teams at various levels of experience, and those people have wonderful things to say about you. Bonus points for experience with SMB markets or in companies with a hybrid self-service/sales assisted business model.
- You are an outstanding communicator, both verbally and in writing. You’re comfortable managing across disciplines at all levels of the organization.
- You have designed, implemented and executed on scalable processes, naturally documenting your proposals and plans along the way.
- You have a keen ability to rally people around an idea, drive toward alignment and buy-in, and lead them through to execution.
- You’re a creative thinker that can connect feature functionality to real-world value, has a passion for storytelling, and a data-driven mindset.
- You are an excellent active listener with great humility and empathy. You naturally build excellent relationships with your team, and peers. You often debate the other side of issues and try on other people’s perspectives.
- You relish team and project challenges and enjoy figuring out how to make things better. In stressful situations, you are the calm, steady voice of reason.
- When needed, you lean in to having difficult conversations with people to resolve a situation and do what is right. You understand the value of direct, transparent, respectful feedback.
- You believe remote teams are the future of work, or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working with remote teams or can adjust your work/management style to be remote-friendly.
- You can work almost anywhere in the world as long as you have 3+ hours of overlap time with US Pacific (GMT-8) working hours or are willing to time shift to accommodate the preferred timezone.
Who you’ll work with:
- Justine Jordan, CMO—You’ll report to Justine, working together to craft our go-to-market strategy, define the vision for the function, and collaborate across the business to help us reach our goals.
- Ben Henderson — Director of Product, along with our product leads
- Nick Francis, co-founder and CEO – Nick is extremely passionate about product and provides a strong vision for Help Scout. You’ll work closely with him on understanding the market, messaging, and positioning.
- Product Specialists in the Support Team - Product specialists represent the voice of the customer, track and report on customer insights, and take the lead on creating documentation.
- The Sales Team—The Help Scout sales team inverts the way sales is typically done. They’re passionate about their craft, which entails putting the customer ahead of the sale.
- …plus teammates in Design, Marketing, Finance, and more!
Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
Sabbatical - After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation plus $2500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or however you'd like to spend that time.
Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Great tools - Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent equipment of choice). We’ll also purchase any additional software or hardware you need.
Home office stipend - Every new hire gets $1000 USD to furnish their home office, and up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 100 people in 40+ cities around the world, all with a passion for excellence in their craft. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences.
Since launching in April of 2011, Help Scout now powers 10,000+ support teams in over 140 countries. Our software is used and trusted by businesses of every shape and size.
Designed to go the distance
Our mission is to foster the world’s customer-centric businesses by providing tools that serve customers in the most human, helpful way. While growth is important, team and values are paramount. We’re always striving to do impactful work we’re proud of in lieu of chasing overnight success.
We’re builders without borders
Our entire team is free to work remotely from wherever they choose. We overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing. The reward is worth the effort—we’ll take talent, skill, and diverse perspectives over local geography any day.
Above all, we want Help Scout to be a place where passionate people can do their very best work. You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better. We take work/life harmony seriously, too, as we want every career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it's the right thing to do.