At Help Scout, we build tools that enable more than 8,000 businesses in 140 countries to communicate with customers in the most human, helpful way. But we’re just getting started and that’s where you come in.
As a data analyst at Help Scout, you’ll help turn our data into actionable insights that inform business strategy and the overall direction of the company. You’ll get to work directly with our leadership team to analyze topics ranging from customer churn, to the performance of A/B tests, to the adoption of new features within the product, and everything in between.
Your insights will make us smarter, more efficient, and will help us grow the business in a values-aligned way. You’ll do this by taking the hard data and making it digestible for folks across the company.
About the role
- On a typical day, you’ll provide data expertise to various teams across the business. From ad hoc data requests to in-depth research projects, you will be collaborating with others to help them answer questions and make better decisions.
- You’ll be using Looker to help teams make data-informed decisions. This includes writing LookML, building reports, exploring data, and creating visualizations in Looker.
- When Looker or SQL can’t solve the problem, you’ll leverage other scripting languages (R/Python) to solve more complex business challenges.
- You’ll foster a data-driven culture at Help Scout by providing training and creating resources (documentation, screencasts, etc) to empower others to perform their own analyses.
- You’ll help to lay the groundwork for growing a data team and potentially lead it in the future.
- We are looking for someone who lives in the ET through PT time zones.
- You’re a pro at writing SQL, wrangling spreadsheet data, and are comfortable analyzing data using R or Python.
- You get excited by seeing your work applied to inform business, product and marketing decisions. For example, analyzing product usage and billing data to optimize pricing, or referencing company enrichment data to help the marketing team run campaigns focused on companies that are a great fit for Help Scout.
- You can manage competing priorities really well, between large, in-depth projects and ad hoc requests to support the business day-to-day.
- You’re passionate about visualizing data that can tell a story and be easily understood by others in the business.
- You’re focused on taking projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
- You are a curious, technical all-arounder who gets stuff done. You care deeply about the details but are able to step back and see the big picture, engineering holistic solutions from multiple and sometimes conflicting requirements.
- You are an excellent communicator who can write and speak with empathy. Clear communication is super important in a remote culture like ours.
Bonus points if you have:
- Worked in an analytical role in a fast-growing SaaS business and are familiar with SaaS metrics and pricing strategies.
- Experience with a Business Intelligence tool like Looker, Tableau, or Mode.
- Interest in learning and implementing machine learning/algorithms.
- Experience using dbt to transform data within a data warehouse.
- Experience devising and evaluating the performance of A/B tests.
Who you'll work with
- Eli Overbey, Growth— As a true technical marketer, Eli loves to solve all problems that come his way. He has experience in SEO, CRO, and paid advertising. This role will report to Eli, and you couldn’t have a better person to learn from.
- David McFarlane, President & COO – David is your partner-in-crime. You’ll work closely together to investigate and inform strategy. David is motivated by the numbers and you’ll work with him and the finance team to continuously improve the growth model.
- Shawna Fisher, VP of Finance – Shawna lives and breathes the numbers. You’ll be working with Shawna on things like the budget, forecasts, sales models and such. Together you’ll ensure we have proper business reporting in place and are transparently sharing data with the team and other stakeholders.
- Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we offer a healthcare stipend.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance - We cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider. (currently US only)
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care - 12 weeks for primary caretaker and 4 weeks for secondary caretaker.
- 401k with 1% match - via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools - Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent equipment of choice).
- Home Office Stipend - You'll also receive $1,000 to spend on outfitting your home office, as well as up to $350 a month to rent a co-working space if you like.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 75 people in 40+ cities around the world, all with a passion for excellence in their craft. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences.
Since launching in April of 2011, Help Scout now powers 8,000+ support teams in over 140 countries. Our software is used and trusted by businesses of every shape and size.
Designed to go the distance
Our mission is to foster the world’s customer-centric businesses by providing tools that serve customers in the most human, helpful way. While growth is important, team and values are paramount. We’re always striving to do impactful work we’re proud of in lieu of chasing overnight success.
We’re builders without borders
Our entire team is free to work remotely from wherever they choose. We overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing. The reward is worth the effort—we’ll take talent, skill, and diverse perspectives over local geography any day.
Above all, we want Help Scout to be a place where passionate people can do their very best work. You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better. We take work/life harmony seriously, too, as we want every career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.