Senior Product Designer
Hello! We're Help Scout. We make software that helps more than 10,000 small businesses talk with their customers. We're a remote company with 100+ employees in over 75 cities around the world — and we've been fully remote from day one. 🎉 🌎
We're excited to open a new position on our design team for a skilled and experienced Product Designer. You'll provide design leadership on your cross-functional product team and advocate for the creation of an experience that is useful, usable, and delightful. We're looking for someone who loves discovering, iterating on, and solving hard problems—and high-fiving (virtually) along the way.
About the role
- Product Designers at Help Scout are embedded on cross-functional teams. They spend their time collaborating closely with their product manager and engineering team using human-centered design practices.
- Since we're remote, you'll leverage a combination of sync and async ways of collaborating with your team. We are always open to evolving the ways we work and the tools we use — whatever gets the job done!
- As a close-knit design team we use Slack, Zoom, and design docs to give each other guidance and critical feedback early and often.
- You will use, contribute to, and help evolve Help Scout's robust design system. We use Figma!
- You'll be joining our fully-remote product design team of 4. You can work from anywhere as long as you have 4+ hours of overlap with EDT.
- You’ve been a designer for several years and are experienced working on products people depend on every day.
- You love visual design, but you're eager to get involved in a project way before the solution is prescribed. For you, it starts by talking to customers, and translating research insights into the right problems to be solved.
- You are passionate about making products that are more accessible and inclusive for everyone.
- You sweat the details and love to work with engineers to create elegant, functional, pixel-perfect results. You obsess over UX/UI touches that make the customer experience feel human, helpful and delightful.
- You collaborate well with others. Thorough communication and thoughtful documentation come second-hand to you.
- You understand the value of brand in the overall customer experience, and how to weave those touches into the product and your design solutions.
Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn't divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
Sabbatical - After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Great tools - Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and display (or equivalent equipment of choice). We’ll also purchase any additional software or hardware you need.
Home office stipend - Every new hire gets $1,500 USD to furnish their home office, and up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 110 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 10,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Why Help Scout?
We're remote. It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked remotely before — we’ve been doing it for nearly a decade and are helping to write the playbook — we’re happy to show you the ropes. Most folks that get a taste of working in a "remote first" company have a hard time going back to the old way of doing things.
We’re passionate about diversity and inclusion. The data is abundantly clear about diverse teams being more successful, and we're dedicated to setting the team up for success. Today our leadership team is 62% women, and that's just the start. Here's our DEI Dashboard where you can see all of our team demographic data and read about our commitment to this work.
We're committed to SMBs for the long term. Help Scout is focused entirely on serving small and midsize businesses, typically up to 500 employees, because those companies view customer service differently. It's not a cost to be optimized, it's their most effective marketing tool and a key differentiator from the competition. We built Help Scout for companies that truly value being customer-centric (like us) and want a product that shares their values.
We're leaving the world better than we found it. Did you know Help Scout is a certified B Corporation, with a mission to give away at least 1% of our product through Help Scout for Good? Our company exists not just to help ourselves, but to invest in our team, our customers, our community, and our environment.
Our commitment to you
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it's the right thing to do.