Lead Product Manager
Ha Nguyen says, “Build products customers love — not like. It’s not ‘nice’ or ‘fine.’ People have to love it so much they’ll tell their friends about it. That’s when you know you’ve hit gold.”
At Help Scout, you’ll join a team of passionate engineers, designers, and support folks around the world to serve our 8,000 customers. By understanding and solving the right problems for them, you'll help build a product our customers love. We’re at a pivotal point in the company’s growth and you’ll have the opportunity to help define the next generation of customer service software while also developing the future of work by leading highly skilled remote product teams.
Building great products is tough at the best of times, and doing it remotely requires a special type of person and passion. If this unique challenge appeals to you, we’d love to talk!
About the role
- We’re looking for a product leader to own a core strategy of the product and work directly with the leadership team to help define and execute our vision of enabling human, personal support.
- Starting with qualitative and quantitative inspiration, you’ll be working alongside design and tech leads to conduct product discovery for small cross-functional project teams, all focused on delivering customer value.
- You’ll constantly iterate on our process and help define better ways of working with teams.
- You will be the voice of the business within the team. You deeply understand the market, emerging trends, and where the business opportunities lie.
- You’ll be responsible for the successful launch of everything the team ships, which means being accountable for the quality of the solution and the impact that it has on both customers and the business. You’ll define meaningful outcomes and measure results against those standards to make sure we’re always meeting our high bar of excellence.
- You’ll work along side Sales and Product Marketing to effectively launch and market SaaS products, so a good understanding of their core principles will be useful, and experience valued.
- Talking with our customers & conducting research to make sure we’re getting things right for them.
- Writing insightful, clear, and helpful product briefs and specs to ensure everyone on the team has the context they need to do their best work.
- Remotely collaborating with the delivery teams via video chat, docs, Trello and Slack.
- Meeting with the Product Leadership Team and other key stakeholders to define the roadmap and strategy.
- Working closely with the design and tech leads to define solutions to the problems you’ve outlined and prioritized.
A typical day for for a PM at Help Scout might look like:
- You are a natural collaborator, and have the ability to inspire and influence the team - and those around you - to believe in the value of an idea through constantly providing context (the why).
- You get excited by solving problems, and have a history of shipping delightful, impactful products that people love, using evidence-based insights and creativity.
- You strive for excellence through understanding and know how to plan, conduct, and synthesize customer research effectively.
- You are passionate about partnering with design and engineering, and you know that the best results happen when the team is working together. You’re also able to identify what “good” looks like and have the confidence to challenge the team to produce the best possible result.
- You are an empathetic, outstanding communicator, both verbally and in writing. You're able to take complex subjects and break them down using clear, simple writing.
- You’ve had experience working with cross-functional product teams, ideally in a distributed environment (though not required so long as you are an excellent communicator).
- You have domain knowledge with messaging, online communication or business productivity products (B2B or B2C) so that you can lead from experience, not just raw talent.
- You are thoughtful, organized, and disciplined. You take initiative and ownership to see things through to completion.
- Above all, you have a love for the craft of building great products, and welcome an environment where you can do quality work independently and have some fun along the way!
Who you'll work with
- Ben Henderson, Director of Product – You’ll be reporting to Ben. Together, you'll sharpen product strategy, execute on it daily, and document what you're learning along the way.
- Chris Brookins, CPO - Chris is the Head of the Product organization and will work closely with you both as a Product and Engineering leader.
- Nick Francis, co-founder and CEO – Nick remains very involved in the product, from future vision to pushing pixels. You’ll work very closely with him on roadmap priorities, product ideas, and polishing the customer experience.
- Design and Engineering – We’ve got an amazing team, with design lead by Linda Eliasen (Dropbox, Mailchimp, Squarespace) and talented engineers from all over the globe.
- Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we offer a healthcare stipend.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance - We cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider. (currently US only)
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care - 12 weeks for primary caretaker and 4 weeks for secondary caretaker.
- 401k with 1% match - via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools - Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent equipment of choice).
- Home Office Stipend - You'll also receive $1,000 to spend on outfitting your home office, as well as up to $350 a month to rent a co-working space if you like.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 75 people in 40+ cities around the world, all with a passion for excellence in their craft.
We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences.
Since launching in April of 2011, Help Scout now powers 8,000+ support teams in over 140 countries. Our software is used and trusted by businesses of every shape and size.
Designed to go the distance
Our mission is to foster the world’s customer-centric businesses by providing tools that serve customers in the most human, helpful way. While growth is important, team and values are paramount. We’re always striving to do impactful work we’re proud of in lieu of chasing overnight success.
We’re builders without borders
Our entire team is free to work remotely from wherever they choose. We overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing. The reward is worth the effort—we’ll take talent, skill, and diverse perspectives over local geography any day.
Above all, we want Help Scout to be a place where passionate people can do their very best work. You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better. We take work/life harmony seriously, too, as we want every career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.