Software Engineer II (Backend)
We are on a mission to rid the world of bad customer service by “mobilizing” the way help is delivered. Today’s consumers want an always-available customer service experience that leaves them feeling valued and respected. Helpshift helps B2B brands deliver this modern customer service experience through a mobile-first approach that changes how conversations take place, moving the conversation away from slow, outdated email and desktop experience to an in-app chat experience that allows users to interact with Brands on their own time. Through our market leading chatbots and automations, we help brands deliver instant and rapid resolutions. Because agents play a key role in delivering help, our platform gives agents superpowers with automations and AI that simply works. Companies such as Brex, EA, Square, Tencent, Supercell along with hundreds of other leading brands use the Helpshift platform to mobilize customer service delivery. Over 820 million active monthly consumers and are enabled on 2B+ devices around the world with Helpshift.
Some numbers which illustrate our scale:
* 30ms response time
* 300 GB data transfer/hour
* 1000 VMs deployed at peak
About the Team:
You will be a member of the Automation Experience team which is responsible for building tools that help companies automate their workflows to deliver quick and satisfactory solutions for their customers’ problems. Our approach to conversational bots & automation is one of a kind. It is a space where nobody in the industry has been able to crack the perfect solution yet. You will be working with a technically rigorous but fun team of engineers to solve challenging problems.
About the Role:
- Work with the rest of the team in developing product features that get delivered to 800M monthly active users.
- Take ownership of the product feature and be responsible for its quality.
- Write clean code with proper test coverage.
- Review other people's code and ensure that it is up to company standards.
- Design and develop features that can scale to 100K+ RPS.
- Display strong work ethics. Be a team player with a strong sense of ownership and collaboration.
- Keep calm and learn everyday.
- 4+ years of medium/large scale server-side software development experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of CS fundamentals: Data structures, time complexity of algorithms.
- Knowledge of Posix compliant Operating Systems (we develop on Mac OS X and deploy on GNU/Linux).Comfortable using CLI tools for achieving day-to-day tasks.
- Experience in writing Unit, Functional & Regression tests. Knowledge of generative testing is preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (or equivalent).
Nice to Have:
- Experience in working with a distributed version control tool. (We use Git)Knowledge of functional programming is a plus. (We use Clojure)Knowledge of the JVM is a plus.
- Experience in working with any one of MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kafka or Postgresql at scale is good to have.
- Experience with benchmarking systems for performance, failure detection is good to have.
Projects you may work on:
- Work on a chatbot conversation engine scaling to millions of conversations per day.
- Design and build workflows a highly scalable & resilient system for automatically routing issues based on events. Every issue interaction will pass through this system.
- Design & implement APIs for features to be consumed internally in the agent dashboard as well as external facing APIs to enable integrations.
Helpshift embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, colour, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.