Finance & Operations Manager
Toronto, Canada Area
What we do: Herb is smashing the stigma and connecting people with the transformative power of cannabis. We are a purpose driven group of Herbivores building a business we believe in. Herb connects the cannabis enthusiast with the information, content and products they need to elevate their experience. We are focused on building the world’s most recognizable and impactful cannabis brand.
How we work: At Herb we aim high - speed matters to us. We value thoughtful decision making and calculated risks. We have an entrepreneurial mindset and address problems with solutions to deliver results. Most importantly, we are User Obsessed. We obsess over the needs and wants of our users and put them first in everything we create. At Herb your work can contribute to making a difference in people’s lives and we take that very seriously.
What you will be doing: The Finance Manager is directly responsible for the financial health of the organization, the success of its operations, and strategic financial planning. This individual will provide financial leadership by managing budgets, overseeing all accounting functions, conducting forecast analysis, and monitoring corporate credit. The Finance Manager will also play a key role in long-term strategic decision making processes that affect the organization's profitability.
- Report on a weekly basis the company's status against, and ability to meet, its strategic and operational objectives
- Oversee bookkeeping, payroll, government reporting and compliance
- Ensure proper accruals and supporting documentation for financials
- Coordinate with sales to ensure accurate and timely invoicing.
- Ensure timely collections on A/R and oversee and prioritize A/P
- Weekly cash reporting
- Track actuals and forecast to budget on a cash and accrual basis.
- Calculate sales commissions and define sales structures
- Manage the Onboarding/Offboarding of the team
- Manage day-to-day customer and vendor inquiries.
- Manage day-to-day employee salary, expense, and benefit inquiries
- Collect and analyze cost data versus budget for ascertaining financial performance and risk assessment
- Develop and implement short- and long-term financial plans and forecasts in accordance with business goals and objectives
- Interpret Herb’s financial results to key executives and recommend improvements
- Engage in ongoing cost reduction analysis in all areas of organization
- Develop accounting policies and procedures relevant to accounting, budgeting, forecasting, and project tracking
- Communicate and collaborate with departmental leaders to stay abreast of spending, budgeting, reports, and evaluation
- Monitor legislation, regulations, policies, and procedures applicable to financial reporting and operations
- Investigate variances in budgets, reporting, internal controls, and general accounting; deploy measures to resolve variances
- Forecast cash flow position and available funds for investment
- Create fundraising strategies and assist in fundraising process
- Assist in determining Herb’s correct capital structure
- Ensure sufficient funds are available to meet ongoing operational needs and capital investment requirements
- Implement and develop the organization's budget process; establish timelines; provide support to the management team; hold the management team accountable for process
- Report to management on variances from the established budget, and reasons for the variances
- Communicate value from experience and insight to management team
- 2-3+ years experience with in an accounting firm, media, or startup
- CA, CPA, CMA or equivalent designation
- Detailed familiarity with accounting systems like QBO and XERO as well as Excel
- Strong attention to detail a must.
- Ability to work independently
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanour
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners, and government agencies
- Experience creating and managing budgets for a large, distributed organization
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills
- Experience with financial planning and strategy, managing profitability, vision, strategic planning, quality management, process improvement, forecasting, corporate finance, budget development
Herb is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Herb is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Herb are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Herb will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Herb encourages applicants of all ages.