Director of Manufacturing
Other – Confidential /
Hermeus is an aerospace and defense technology company founded to radically accelerate air travel by delivering hypersonic aircraft. The company aims to develop hypersonic aircraft quickly and cost-effectively by integrating hardware-rich, iterative development with modern computing and autonomy. This approach has been validated through design, build, and test of the company’s first combined turbojet-ramjet engine and is now being scaled through its first flight vehicle program, Quarterhorse. Hermeus is also developing Darkhorse — an uncrewed hypersonic aircraft designed to deliver unique asymmetric capabilities to the warfighter.
As the Director of Manufacturing at Hermeus, you will play a pivotal role in the development and production of our groundbreaking hypersonic aircraft technology. You will lead a talented team of professionals responsible for the build, integration, machining, and manufacturing processes, ensuring the highest quality and efficiency standards are met.
- Manufacturing Strategy: Develop and execute a comprehensive manufacturing strategy in alignment with the company's goals and objectives. Drive continuous improvement in manufacturing processes, technologies, and methodologies. Determine long-term operating goals, expansion efforts, and implementation of new and advanced technology.
- Team Leadership: Provide strong leadership and direction to a team of manufacturing managers, engineers, technicians, and support staff. Foster a collaborative and high-performance culture within the manufacturing department.
- Production Planning: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop production plans, schedules, and resource allocation to meet project timelines and delivery targets. Ensure efficient use of resources and adherence to budgets.
- Quality Assurance: Establish and maintain rigorous quality control and assurance processes to guarantee the highest standards of product quality and safety. Implement corrective actions and preventive measures as necessary.
- Process Optimization: Continuously evaluate and optimize manufacturing processes, including machining, assembly, and integration, to enhance efficiency, reduce waste, and increase output.
- Supplier Management: Work closely with the Supply Chain Department to manage relationships with key suppliers, negotiate contracts, and oversee the procurement of materials and components to support manufacturing operations.
- Regulatory Compliance: Ensure compliance with all relevant industry regulations, safety standards, and quality certifications. Stay updated on industry best practices and emerging trends in manufacturing technology.
- Cost Management: Develop and manage the manufacturing budget, monitor expenditures, and identify cost-saving opportunities while maintaining the highest levels of quality and safety.
- Risk Management: Identify and mitigate potential risks to manufacturing operations, including supply chain disruptions, equipment failures, and process deviations.
- Reporting: Provide regular reports to senior management on manufacturing performance, including key performance indicators, progress against targets, and strategic recommendations.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Manufacturing Engineering or a related field (Master's degree preferred).
- Extensive experience in manufacturing leadership roles, preferably in the aerospace or aviation industry.
- Strong knowledge of machining, additive manufacturing, integration, and assembly processes.
- Experience working in environment with vertically integrated manufacturing operations.
- Proven track record of successfully leading and developing high-performing manufacturing teams.
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Proficiency in project management and resource allocation.
- Familiarity with regulatory and quality standards (e.g., ISO, AS9100).
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and innovative environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- Proven track record of building, motivating, and mentoring high performance manufacturing teams
- Technical project management experience
- Excellent technical expertise and judgement across multiple engineering disciplines permitting peer-level review of your team’s work product
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together
- Ability to assess risk and make development decisions without all available data
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with direct experience negotiating integrated system trades between various stakeholders
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and external customers or vendors
- Highly detail oriented and passionate about advancing the commercial aviation industry
$170,000 - $200,000 a year
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.