Senior Power Electronics Engineer
Los Angeles /
Hgen's mission is to achieve a clean and sustainable energy future through tackling emissions in hard-to-decarbonize industries. By enabling cheap and abundant green hydrogen, Hgen can help to decarbonize the 25% of total global emissions that are best addressed with green hydrogen. Learn more about why green hydrogen is critical for achieving zero-emissions.
As a Senior Power Electronics Engineer, you will drive the design and delivery of power electronics. You will own the success of power systems, from kW-scale prototypes, to MW-scale production systems. This role will leverage your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop novel power architectures and solutions that are simple, reliable, and manufacturable. You will play a critical role at Hgen, working within a fast and collaborative start-up environment to develop and commercialize Hgen's advanced alkaline electrolyzer.
- Own the research, design and development of the power and controls systems of Hgen's advanced alkaline electrolyzer, from raw AC/DC input through conditioning, conversion and delivery.
- Act as the chief engineer, engaging in cross-disciplinary collaboration with engineering and research team arrive at the simplest solutions
- Help drive system-level architecture, with power systems capabilities and vulnerabilities in mind, to minimize total cost of hydrogen production
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of experience designing and analyzing complex power electronics and electrical systems
- Industry and Hands-on experience with ~500-1000V class switching power converters
- Understanding of different high power conversion topologies, from DC-DC, AC-DC conversion
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience designing, building, testing and troubleshooting complex power electronics systems
- Experience with high power electronics design: motor inverters, switching power suppliers, rectifiers
- Experience with EMI, Thermal and HF Magnetics design and simulation
- Experience with renewable power systems: PV, Wind
- Proficient from rapid iterative prototyping through NPI production ramp-up
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design and development environments
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills, enthusiasm for complex problem solving, and desire to optimize systems holistically
- Strong project management skills and effective communication of technical concepts across multi-disciplinary teams
- First principles based decision making
- Passionate about decarbonization and addressing climate change