Principal Mechanical Design Engineer
Hgen's mission is to achieve a clean and sustainable energy future through tackling emissions in hard-to-decarbonize industries. By enabling cheap and abundant green hydrogen, Hgen can help to decarbonize the 25% of total global emissions that are best addressed with green hydrogen. Learn more about why green hydrogen is critical for achieving zero-emissions.
As a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer, you will drive the design and delivery of key components of the our electrolysis cell, stack and system. You will own the success of the core components, from our lab-scale prototypes, to production-scale systems. This role will leverage your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop novel design solutions that are simple, reliable, and manufacturable. You will play a critical role at Hgen, working within a fast and collaborative start-up environment to develop and commercialize Hgen's advanced alkaline electrolyzer.
- Own the design and development of core components of Hgen's advanced alkaline electrolyzer, from the cell and stack through balance of plant
- Act as the chief engineer, engaging in cross-disciplinary collaboration with engineering and research team arrive at the simplest solutions
- Help drive system-level architecture, with component capabilities and vulnerabilities in mind, to minimize total cost of hydrogen production.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering discipline (mechanical, aerospace, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience designing and analyzing complex mechanical systems
- Strong understanding of fundamental principals in fluid/gas systems and solid mechanics
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience designing, building, testing and troubleshooting complex mechanical components and systems
- Industry and hand-on experience with designing high pressure fluid, gas, and/or high voltage systems
- Experience with design for manufacture, and wide range of manufacturing processes for metals and polymers
- Experienced with rapid iterative prototyping through NPI production ramp-up
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design and prototyping environments
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills, enthusiasm for complex problem solving, and desire to optimize systems holistically
- Strong project management skills and effective communication of technical concepts across multi-disciplinary teams
- First principles based decision making
- Passionate about decarbonization and addressing climate change