Everyone has to think about money, but no one enjoys it. Budgets, bills, APRs, rainy day funds - this stuff is as deeply important as it is stressful and intimidating. That’s why we’ve built Charlie: a friendly, conversational AI penguin dedicated to helping people save more, cut bills, take control of debt, and break the paycheck-to-paycheck cycle.
With $9 million in Series A funding, Charlie has the freedom and runway to create a product that can improve the financial health of millions. Most recently, we’ve built brand-new Charlie apps for iOS and Android. We’re looking for an Android engineer excited to work on our new mobile development team and build out the future of Charlie!
- Design, develop, test, release, and maintain an awesome Android app. Our app is new, and nothing is set in stone; you’ll have the freedom to decide how to architect and build going forward.
- Have the chance to work with engineers and non-engineers across our team, and on technologies across our stack (Python, Django, AWS, React), to design and ship new features.
- Help set the course of our business. From recruiting to roadmapping to culture, your voice will be heard on every aspect of the company, not just the software.
- Enjoy coming to work! Charlie’s sunny office in the SoMa (one block from the Caltrain) is our happy place. In addition to the scintillating company of your teammates, you will get free lunches, an unlimited supply of any Costco snacks you desire (mmm, prudent deliciousness), fully-covered benefits (gold-level Medical, Dental, and Vision plans), and a 6% 401(k) match.
- 2-3+ years of full-time engineering experience
- Proficiency in Java
- Experience building and shipping Android apps on the Google Play Store
- Interest in or experience with full-stack web development, particularly using Django or another Python-based framework
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science (or an adjacent technical field) or equivalent
- Prior experience with or strong interest in financial services
- Prior startup experience
What kind of people will you work with?
- Contagiously curious: We value people who can teach us a thing or two. We will return the favor!
- Caring: Like you, we are in this for the people. We are proudest when we help a user or a teammate out.
- Honey badgers: Relentless and pragmatic, we get stuff done.
- Goofballs: Is it possible to make something like saving money delightful? We sure are trying, one ridiculous GIF at a time.
Charlie is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity - not only do we believe that it leads to greater happiness at work, but it also allows us to build more delightful and impactful products. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.