Vice President, Engineering
San Francisco, CA or Seattle, WA
High Fidelity is hiring a Senior Director or Vice President to oversee the company’s ongoing engineering initiatives.
A New Vision for VR
High Fidelity is a distributed, open-source social virtual reality (VR) software platform anyone can use to create and share VR experiences. Users can create and host their own VR world, explore other worlds, meet and connect with other users, attend or host live VR events and much more.
The infrastructure we’re building will collapse distance and remove barriers, making virtual life an integral part of how people learn, work, and enjoy themselves. As the distinctions between our digital and physical lives disappear, we see the unique, immersive aspects of VR as a reaffirmation of the most human elements connecting us all together. We’re building an Internet-scale technology to support a billion users around the world as VR becomes the “next screen” to dominate human discourse and interaction.
We’re ready to break out of beta. Are you the senior leader who can lead our engineering team to bring this vision to life? If you have extensive experience leading the development of complex software development products, along with the proven ability to inspire, manage, and motivate a team of 30+ engineers, we would love to talk with you. We need a highly effective communicator who can translate complex systems for different audiences. You must be adept at listening and integrating feedback from internal key stakeholders as well as our users.
You should have an optimistic outlook, a bias to action, the ability to evangelize our vision, and an infectious enthusiasm for figuring out how to solve hard technology problems. You embrace open communication and the principles of open source development.
You will take over the leadership of multiple teams of computer scientists working collaboratively on the features of our platform, ranging from user interaction tools and back-end web services to 3D rendering, physics simulation, avatar inverse kinematics, data compression and high-speed networking.
Day-to-day tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting the CTO in refining the High Fidelity platform architecture
- Managing the technical leads for each engineering team
- Working with technical leads to translate high level technical requirements into specific engineering assignments
- Coordination with the Director of Program Management and QA Manager to improve the velocity and effectiveness of the High Fidelity platform team
- Technical problem solving
- Position requires a Bachelor’s degree, or foreign equivalent, in Computer Science
- 7+ years technical management experience
- Professional experience must include: Architectural design skills for a massively distributed system; management of a full-stack codebase; and in-depth knowledge of computer networking, including protocols, devices, and NAT