Lead Game Designer
Highrise is a mobile game and community where people make avatars, design art and environments and meet new friends. We are building on the spirit of applications like Animal Crossing, The Sims, Habbo Hotel and Second Life.
Over 3 million people create avatars, chat and make friends in Highrise. We are a fully remote team of 20 backed by YCombinator, Bessemer, Maveron and other leading investors.
About the Role
We are looking for our first game designer. Over time, you will own all game design aspects of Highrise. You'll design the over-arching player experience while building engaging systems and new mechanics. You'll be building a completely new kind of product that combines storytelling, community-building and rich social interactions.
This role will give you the opportunity to...
- Own the entire game design process at Highrise
- Lead design of the Highrise user journey
- Design and oversee the implementation of game systems
- Design new game features and mechanics
- Design new social and guild features
- Design marketplace features in an economy that is entirely player-driven
- Help design live operations systems and goals
To be successful in this role, we'd expect you to...
- Have several years experience designing for at least one live, well-executed mobile game
- Be creative about identifying problems, and...
- Be creative about coming up with solutions
- Want to talk to current and prospective players
- Analytically evaluate overall game performance individual feature performance
- Set goals and execute against them
Within 3 months you'll...
- Own the game design function at Highrise
- Work with team-mates and users to construct the long-term vision of the Highrise universe
- Design systems and mechanics that fit within the Highrise vision
- Work closely with our visual design, engineering and art teams to implement systems and mechanics
Within 6 months you'll...
- Work with management to hire staff and contractors that enable us to execute on the Highrise vision (like sound designers, game designers, writers and more)
- Design end-game social, collaborative and competitive features
- Design live operations features that breath life into the Highrise world
- Educate, mentor and train other members of the team in game design