Senior Android Developer [REMOTE]
San Francisco, CA
Highrise is a mobile game and community that generates meaningful human connections on a massive scale so that everybody can enjoy a profound sense of belonging. In Highrise, people can make avatars, design art and environments and meet new friends. We are building on the spirit of applications like Animal Crossing, The Sims, Habbo Hotel and Second Life.
Over 3 million people create avatars, chat and make friends in Highrise. We are a fully remote team of 25 backed by YCombinator, Bessemer, Maveron and other leading investors.
About the Role
We are looking for a senior Android developer with experience shipping polished production apps. The perfect candidate will be well versed in Kotlin and Android development, and be comfortable jumping straight into a production app. Familiarity with JNI and C++ is also a requirement.
You get bonus points if you've worked with Clean Architecture or RxJava (RxKotlin).
Extra bonus points if you're involved in the open source community.
This role, along with our entire company, is remote. Fluency in English in both written and verbal form is a requirement.
This role will give you the opportunity to...
- Own the Android stack of Highrise - used by over 3 million users and growing
- Be one of two Android engineers on our small and fast moving team
- Work alongside our C++, iOS and back-end developers
- Design and architect new features in Java/Kotlin
- Contribute to ideas and design for new features
- Work in a remote team (be anywhere in the world)
To be successful in this role, we'd expect you to...
- Have minimum 5 years experience developing on Android
- Be up to date with latest Android features
- Be able to advocate for Android and defend it as your preferred platform
- Know the ins and outs of Android to fully exploit its capabilities
- Be able to work well in a remote development environment
- Be able to communicate in english at a native speaking and writing level
- Be responsible to your fellow remote team members
- Be highly communicative and go out of your way to contribute to the team and help others
Within 3 months you'll...
- Be able to contribute new features as well as maintain existing code
- Contribute core features and changes to our app with millions of users
- Design brand new features with the help of other team members
Within 6 months you'll...
- Own the entire Android stack with another Android engineer
- Contribute to architectural decisions across Android, iOS, C++ core and backend
- Contribute to product design brainstorms and decisions
- Contribute to improving our engineering processes and workflows