Principal Backend Engineer, Training & Coaching
Vancouver, BC /
Product – Engineering /
Highspot helps sales teams improve customer conversations and achieve their revenue goals. From content optimization and performance analytics to in-context training, guided selling, and more, the Highspot platform delivers enterprise-ready features in a modern design that sales reps and marketers love. Using Highspot, marketing leaders have deep insights and analytics into the performance and influenced revenue of content, campaigns, and marketing assets. What makes the solution special? It’s loved by sales reps globally, and is the #1 rated sales enablement platform on G2 Crowd.
We are committed to diversity as both a moral and business imperative.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Principal Backend Software Engineer who will bring their creativity and experience to Highspot to help us build software with a spark of magic. This is a role that works closely with Product Management, Design, and Frontend Engineering. While we don’t expect you to be an expert in all of these technologies, some of the languages and tools we use to build Highspot include Ruby, Java, Clojure, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Solr, AWS, Docker, and Kubernetes.
What You'll Do
- Develop highly available distributed services
- Create architecture and design documents
- Contribute to internal and external technical documentation
- Own and lead projects such as application performance, application scalability, 3rd party integrations, and related problems like data exchange rules, compliance, and external reporting
- Focus on server-side programming while also understanding how features work end-to-end in the web frontend and mobile user experiences
- Rapidly create software that customers love by partnering cross-functionally with a talented team of Engineers, Designers, and Product Managers
- Use your communication skills to represent highly technical concepts to your counterparts on the Frontend, Design, and Product Management teams
- Integrate Highspot with external APIs, including third-party Learning Management Systems (LMS) and other partner applications
- Develop clean, reusable, supportable, and well-tested RESTful APIs and web services
- Design and implement new endpoints for Highspot’s external API to power the Highspot web frontend, mobile applications, and our customers' software
- Write automated tests of your code and collaborate with QA to deliver software at a high level of quality
- Define and meet scalability, uptime, performance, and security goals
- Resolve major customer technical issues in production
- Proficiency in delivering large-scale, highly distributed systems that are designed to be resilient and easily consumable from a wide array of frontend devices
- Proficiency in building, integrating with, and supporting APIs using a variety of languages, data formats, and data transformations
- Expert knowledge of SaaS-type web application architecture and delivery
- An entrepreneurial spirit: you’re agile, creative, resourceful, and tenacious as you solve problems and achieve team and company goals
- Comfortable with modern open source technologies and tools
- Experience developing software products, scalable internet software, and applications using a range of software models including object-oriented and functional design patterns
- 10+ years’ experience developing software products, scalable internet software, and applications using a range of software models including object-oriented and functional design patterns
Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, disability, and life benefits
Group Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) and matching employer contributions (DPSP) with immediate vesting
3 Weeks of Paid Vacation
Generous Holiday Schedule + 5 Days for Annual Holiday Week
Quarterly Recharge Fridays (paid days off for mental health recharge)
Flexible work schedules
Professional development opportunities through BetterUp and LinkedIn Learning
Discounted ClassPass membership
Access to Coaches and Therapists through Modern Health
2 Volunteer days per year
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any grounds protected by applicable human rights legislation, which may include age, ancestry, citizenship, color, ethnicity, family status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or invisible disabilities, political belief, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
Did you read the requirements as a checklist and not tick every box? Don't rule yourself out! If this role resonates with you, hit the ‘apply’ button."