Principal Frontend Software Engineer, Shared UX
Product – Engineering /
Highspot is pioneering the category that is fundamentally changing the way companies increase sales productivity. On a mission to transform the way millions of people work with sales enablement, Highspot is committed to building breakthrough software with a spark of magic. We believe a great place to work is about more than the work – it’s about what the company stands for, and how it authentically represents its values in the real world. To this end, we have put intentional focus on creating equitable workspaces for each of our employees. Our goal is to create a culture where everyone feels a deep sense of belonging and is empowered to be an agent of change, with the ability to transform themselves, their workplace, and their world.
About the Role
At Highspot, we build software with a spark of magic. We’re looking for a Principal Software Engineer to lead development of our next generation web platform. The Shared UX team currently has 10 engineers (up from 4 a year ago). We’re aiming to create a platform using technologies like React, Next.js, Typescript, Node, OpenAPI, Sass/SCSS, and Webpack. We’re setting up a monorepo with pnpm, turborepo, BuildKite, and GitHub packages. We support a team of nearly 200 web engineers with a multi-million line codebase. We’re creating a library of shared components and modularizing our platform libraries. We want to substantially increase our pace of development, reduce build time and test flakiness, and increase engineer job satisfaction. In this role, you will work closely with Highspot tech leads, engineering leadership, the Shared UX team, product and design.
What You’ll Do
- Analyze complex problems around engineering velocity, quality, site performance, and operational cost. Identify root causes. Develop written recommendations and gain stakeholder alignment on the solution approach.
- Lead large projects such as the development of a new web engineering platform. Validate the approach, choose technologies, estimate effort, oversee development, educate the organization, support deployment and adoption. You may lead a project team of 5 full-time engineers + 10-15 contractor engineers on systems that will be adopted by dozens to hundreds of engineers.
- Help design the path from the legacy codebase (monolith with a mix of React, backbone, and Ruby) to the new platform.
- Collaborate and influence others. You will make many decisions, but you will need broad acceptance of your initiatives. You will negotiate with engineering directors, product managers, and skeptical tech leads. You need to get things done and ensure that others feel happy about how they were treated along the way. You will wield power responsibly.
- Help senior engineers develop their careers and learn the skills to be effective principal engineers.
- Help us evaluate, recruit, and close principal and senior engineers and engineering managers.
- Code review. You will read a selection of pull requests from dozens of engineers and use the information to coach the engineering team on how to write better code.
- Support the development of a library of 50-100 shared components.
- Oversee design of frameworks for settings, notifications, email, and localization.
- Research new technologies. You will monitor promising new technologies, evaluate their potential for Highspot, determine their maturity, and recommend adoption at the right time for the right use cases.
- Use your communication skills to explain highly technical concepts to web and backend engineers, executives, product managers, and designers through written proposals and presentations. You will write technical documentation used by hundreds of engineers. You will write blog posts and give conference talks on the challenging problems we solve.
- Write challenging code: create a prototype; jump in and write a critical module when a team is under schedule pressure; rewrite a tricky subsystem to make the code easier to understand and introduce the right primitives and layers.
- Help on call engineers determine the root cause for major customer issues in production.
- Note: probably no one perfectly matches the list below. We’re looking for folks who have many of these skills and interest in acquiring the others.
- Experienced: you’ve spent 10+ years building cross-browser, highly interactive, high-scale web applications. You’ve been the tech lead for a team of 5-10 engineers. You’re an excellent coach for senior engineers. You’ve written tech specs and vision docs. You’ve created work breakdowns and effort estimates. You’ve led the development of major systems.
- Entrepreneurial: you’re agile, creative, resourceful, and tenacious as you solve problems and achieve team and company goals. You look at ambiguous situations, determine how to change the game, gain alignment with vision documents and stakeholder discussions, and lead a team to accomplish the goal.
- Deep: you enjoy digging into the guts of the system. You’re actively learning more about the underpinnings of web technology. Folks call you when they are struggling in an incident, and you help read the logs, understand the source code, and correlate the events to find the root cause. You’re not afraid to crack open a major library and send the maintainer a pull request.
- Broad: you’ve worked on multiple platforms. Web is your main gig, but you’ve done some backend coding too. You care about API design. You did a side project to learn more about mobile. You have opinions and experience with monorepos and monoliths. You know some of the uses for Cloudfront or NGINX. You’ve explored reactive programming.
- Familiar with modern web technologies: React.js, Typescript, Node, Next.js, webpack, Storybook, Cypress, npm, GraphQL.
Base salary range: $222,609 - $333,913. Employees may also be eligible for bonuses, stock options, and other forms of compensation.
The above represents total expected compensation for this role. Actual compensation will depend on various job-related factors, including, but not limited to, location, experience, and job qualifications.
Highspot also offers the following employee benefits for this position:
-Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, disability, and life benefits
-Health Savings Account (HSA) with employer contribution
-401(k) Matching with immediate vesting on employer match
-8 paid holidays and 5 paid days for Annual Holiday Week
-Quarterly Recharge Fridays (paid days off for mental health recharge)
-18 weeks paid parental leave
-Professional development opportunities through LinkedIn Learning
-Discounted ClassPass membership
-Access to Coaches and Therapists through Modern Health
-2 volunteer days per year
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, color, ethnicity, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or invisible disability status, political affiliation, veteran status, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
Did you read the requirements as a checklist and not tick every box? Don't rule yourself out! If this role resonates with you, hit the ‘apply’ button.