Principal Software Engineer - Frontend Mobile
San Francisco; Seattle /
RnD – Engineering /
Hinge Health is creating a new health care system, built around you. Accessible to 26 million members across 1,500 customers, Hinge Health is the #1 digital clinic for joint and muscle pain, delivering superior member outcomes and proven claims reductions. We pair the industry’s most advanced motion technology and wearable pain relief with a complete clinical care team of physical therapists, physicians, and board-certified health coaches to help people move beyond pain and reduce surgeries and opioid use. Hinge Health’s HingeConnect integrates with 1 million+ in-person providers to enable earlier interventions for avoidable MSK surgeries. Four in five health plans and employers with a digital MSK solution trust Hinge Health, including Land O’Lakes, L.L. Bean, Salesforce, Self-Insured Schools of California, Southern Company, State of New Jersey, US Foods, and Verizon. Learn more at http://www.hingehealth.com
Here at Hinge Health, we welcome all applicants and know a diverse team makes us better and stronger. We look for individuals who embody our leadership principles and we value varied experiences and skill sets. Beyond specific work experience, we also look for unique capabilities and skill sets that are key indicators an applicant will thrive in our fast-paced, frequently evolving environment. If this sounds like the kind of place you’d like to be part of, please apply - we would love to hear from you!
Hinge Health Hybrid Model:
We believe that remote work and in-person work have their own advantages and disadvantages, and we want to be able to leverage the best of both worlds. Some roles which require a greater degree of day-to-day collaboration will benefit from more in-person opportunities. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to be in office 1 day/week (Wednesdays) in hub locations that have an office, and will be expanded to 2 days/week in 2024.
About the Role:
As Principal Engineer, you’ll help guide over a dozen small product teams responsible for delivering the world’s best remedy for chronic back and joint pain. You’ll elevate our high-quality, high-velocity execution by championing the right design principles, coaching on how to apply them, and baking systems of architectural governance into our daily workflow. In the year ahead, you’ll lead the graceful refactoring of a large ReactNative mobile app using module federation and utility encapsulation.
On a given day, you’ll author position pieces to change minds, technical architecture to align teams, reference material to ease implementation, and a dozen Slacks thanking teammates for being delightful, helpful, patient, and kind. You’ll share your opinions in pull requests, formal PE review sessions, weekly operational excellence meetings, and bi-weekly technical leadership sessions with the VPs, directors, PEs and CTO. You’ll write working code to prototype interesting solutions or handle the most demanding implementations, usually pairing with developers at every level to share your approach (and have more fun at work).
You’ll give high fives and shout outs, using your high station to celebrate great technical work and courageous, thoughtful risk-taking, and you’ll give hard feedback and bar-raising input in peer reviews, interviews, and strategic planning. You will make mistakes and model how to own them and learn from them, to reinforce a climate of high-accountability, innovation, and psychological safety.
You will report to the VP Engineering for Consumer Product Development, who will work to amplify your influence on the engineering culture as Hinge Health continues to rapidly scale. Your own pragmatism, collaborative spirit, technical prowess, and creative joy will bend the shape of a fast-growing organization, and directly influence our ability to give more deserving Americans access to better healthcare, faster.
The ideal candidate wants to do something that matters and make a profound difference in real people’s lives. You are energized by the pace and freedom of a fast-moving start-up, and have developed strong time-management and prioritization habits to avoid getting sucked into the maelstrom. You really like developing software for mobile phones and tablets, and have deep expertise in their unique capabilities and constraints. Ideally, you’ve spent a lot of time with ReactNative and Typescript, and have helped a dozen+ teams contribute to a 5-star app without stepping on each other’s toes.
We enjoy a continuous deployment DevOps culture, and take owner-operator pride in supporting our code in production with an on-call rotation. Rotations vary by team.
Our production systems rely on React Native, React, Node.js, Typescript, NestJS, GraphQL, Docker, Rails, Aptible, AWS, Postgres, Redis, Apollo, and Redux. Our workflow is trunk-based CI/CD, and our security/compliance posture is at the highest standards of healthcare, including HIPAA, HITRUST, SOC 2, and CCPA.
WHAT YOU’LL ACCOMPLISH
- You will shape the evolution of Hinge Health’s mobile app architecture, allowing several autonomous teams to ship dozens of new product capabilities every two weeks
- You will design novel ways of using common tech to help millions of people feel less chronic pain in their daily lives
- You will help teams manage risk and do just-enough planning to consistently deliver high-quality projects within budget
- You will accelerate the professional development of technical leaders with attentive mentorship and active skills training
- You will align hundreds of developers around well-defined principles and standards that make the codebase measurably better and easier to change
- You will raise Hinge Health’s public profile, representing the team’s innovative work in technical articles and speaking engagements
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Frontend application development on a large, complex, top-quality consumer application
- Expertise in high performance computation, with an emphasis on profiling and bottleneck discovery with deep O(n)-driven intuitions
- Expertise in low-latency, highly resilient client-server architecture, including graceful degradation of features in low- or no-bandwidth modes
- Deep familiarity with the mobile app ecosystem, including testing, observing, deploying, and managing several concurrent versions in the field across a wide rage of consumer devices
- Team-first, growth mindset, and ability to add leverage to every level of the org, from shipping code to shaping strategy with senior leadership
- Track record of effective project management, primarily devoted to early derisking, problem decomposition, and a strong vision that pulls the team toward the destination together
- Experience with agile techniques and tooling for rapid prototyping and experimentation
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with ML at the edge, inc computer vision, NLP, and diagnostic AI
- Experience in IoT, smart home, AR/VR, or wearables (especially ones using BLE)
- Conference speaking experience
- Able to travel every couple months to visit teams in a number of North American hubs
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE ABOUT US
- Inclusive healthcare and benefits: On top of comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, we offer employees and their family members help with gender-affirming care, tools for family and fertility planning, and travel reimbursements if healthcare isn’t available where you live
- Planning for the future: Start saving for the future with our traditional or Roth 401k retirement plan options which include a 2% company match
- Modern life stipends: Manage your own learning and development budget, use the mental health to support therapy costs, and lifestyle stipends to cover your favorite wellness services, and work-from-home equipment
- Flexible vacation and paid time off: Employees have flexibility to choose when, how, and why they take time off to rest and recharge. Exempt employees can take advantage of our flexible PTO program. Nonexempt employees can utilize up to two weeks of sick time and up to 17 days of vacation per year, including mental health days
- In-office perks: Daily lunch, coffee/tea and office snacks, and weekly social hours
- Other compensation: At Hinge Health, we want every employee to be invested and rewarded in the future success of the company. All full-time positions are eligible for equity
$220,800 - $360,000 a year
Consider the range above plus equity, and benefits. Please note that the base salary range is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level, competencies and work location.
About Hinge Health:
LinkedIn recently named Hinge Health one of the Top 50 Startups. Forbes, Fast Company, and Inc. have also recognized our technology, innovation, and culture.
Since our founding in 2014, we've raised more than $800 million from leading investors, including Coatue and Tiger Global. We work with 1000 customers across every industry and the public sector — including Salesforce, Verizon, and the State of New Jersey — to give more than 23 million people access to the care they need. We’re positioned to continue leading the market with unmatched investments in clinical research, care innovation, machine learning, AI, and computer vision.
Diversity and Inclusion:
We’re committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve. Visit hingehealth.com/diversity-equity-and-inclusion to learn more about what moves us.
Hinge Health is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We make employment decisions without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
We provide reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. If you feel you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, let us know by reaching out to your recruiter.
By providing your information through this page or applying for a job at Hinge Health, you acknowledge that Hinge Health will collect, use, and process your information as part of our job application process. For more information on how Hinge Health processes your personal information, click here to view our Applicant and Personnel Privacy Notice.
There continues to be a significant increase in phishing attempts across all industries where fraudsters are impersonating real employees and sending fictitious job offers to applicants in a scheme to obtain sensitive information. Please note that we will never ask for your financial information at any part of the interview process including the post-offer stage, and will only correspond through @hingehealth.com domain email addresses.
If you encounter any suspicious activity, we recommend you cease all communication with the individual and consider reporting them to the U.S. FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center. If you would like to verify the legitimacy of an email you received from our recruiting team, please forward it to email@example.com
*Please do not send resumes via email*