Government & Community Relations Manager
Hipcamp unlocks access to private land, creating new places for people to get outside and go camping, glamping, and RVing. We believe that spending time in nature is essential to a happy and healthy human life, and we are passionate about our mission to get more people outside. We are deeply proud of the impact Hipcamp creates by making nature more accessible, providing income to support private land stewardship, and creating community across the urban-rural divide.
As the Hipcamp Government and Community Relations team, it’s our mission to promote and codify acceptance of private land camping.
You love policy, advocacy, and public affairs. You are passionate about working with communities and government leaders to change policy. You believe that together we can create a better world where more people can experience the benefits of getting outside. You are a mission-driven operator who can deftly sort through the uncertainty of local politics to find solutions.
You thrive as an individual contributor and are eager to contribute as a foundational member of a small and growing team. You enjoy helping build scalable solutions from the ground up at a fast-paced and ever-changing environment. You operate highly autonomously and face adversity with optimism and a resilient attitude. You’re nimble in your thinking and are energized by ambiguity. You are a people person who inspires others through your empathy and authenticity.
About the role
In this role you will support the development and execution of Hipcamp's grassroots legislative and political strategy across the US. You will be responsible for developing and executing local and state legislative campaigns across your assigned markets to promote acceptance of private land camping. You will report directly to the Head of Government and Community Relations.
What Success Looks Like:
- You represent Hipcamp in briefings, negotiations, and other interactions with government officials to secure favorable regulations.
- You develop meaningful relationships with Hosts and other local stakeholders, transform them into advocates, and mobilize them into action.
- You help create and implement resources for a global Host advocacy program, including Host clubs, Host meetups, training materials, and other resources to inspire Hosts as advocates.
- You leverage data and research to help develop the company’s policy positions.
- You create and inform public narratives around private land camping and promote value propositions that appeal to public officials and community stakeholders.
- You identify and build partnerships with local and regional stakeholders who support land stewardship, equitable outdoor recreation, and rural economic development.
- You monitor policy trends in your assigned markets and develop briefings that help the rest of the Hipcamp team make data-driven decisions.
The skills we think you’ll need to succeed:
- 5+ years of relevant government relations, community organizing, campaign, or public policy experience
- Experience in community organizing within political campaigns, technology companies, or grassroots campaigns
- Ability to build and leverage strong, authentic relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Compelling written, presentation, and public speaking abilities with experience distilling complex land use and legislative subject matter
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with the ability to meet tight deadlines, shift priorities, and exercise good judgement
- Ability to maintain the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity
- Passion for creating equitable access to the outdoors, driving economic development for rural communities, and developing innovative solutions to steward the land
- Willingness to travel domestically as safety permits
- An understanding of the tech policy industry and familiarity with land use policy, zoning regulations, and rural county governments are pluses
Working at Hipcamp
- Compensation will be a mix of salary and stock options. It is based on your location and will be highly competitive compared to similar-stage companies.
- Health is essential to happiness. In addition to full health insurance, all team members receive $1K in Hipcash because we believe getting outside is excellent preventative medicine in addition to increasing creativity and lowering stress.
- We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with great people, empowerment, and autonomy create the best results. We feel confident that inclusive and diverse teams working on an important cause can accomplish extraordinary things.
- Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.