Director of Storytelling & Content
San Francisco, CA
Marketing and Community
Hipcamp makes it easy to list, discover, and book campgrounds and accommodations on private and public land. Whether you’re looking for a scenic spot to pitch your tent or planning a nature-filled getaway, Hipcamp is your go-to guide to getting outside. One of our core beliefs is that people who are connected and aligned with nature are happier and healthier humans. Our mission is to get more people outside. We accomplish this by making nature more accessible, creating revenue to support the protection of land, and creating community across the urban-rural divide.
About the Role
Hipcamp is on an exciting journey, and we’re looking to add a Director of Storytelling & Content to our marketing team. We aspire to become one of the most recognizable outdoor and travel brands in the country, and we believe telling powerful stories of our community is the best way to help grow our awareness.
In this role, you will help refine our brand narrative and create programming to reinforce our key messages. You will manage our press, social and events efforts and team members. You will manage our pool of writers, oversee the editorial calendar, and increase our distribution through content partnerships. You’ll watch the metrics to identify the right programming strategy for each channel. You’ll help us develop new capabilities like video and influencers. And you’ll work with our Paid Advertising function to optimize our promotional creative.
You will report directly to Alyssa Ravasio, our founder and CEO.
What you'll get to do
- Create and evolve content and social strategy to extend marketing initiatives across channels and audiences, operating an “always-on” approach to content development and distribution. Own the creation and management of Hipcamp’s editorial calendar.
- Develop an updated brand voice, tone, perspective, and copy across channels and contexts. Establish verbal and narrative brand guidelines to foster consistency.
- Oversee our pool of freelance writers as they produce blog posts, user profiles, long form features, how-to guide’s, campsite descriptions and other written content. We are especially focused on building scalable systems for content creation and project tracking.
- Develop and deploy a strategy for influencer engagement and overall audience growth. Identify and experiment with new partners and channels (Ie. Podcasts, branded content) to create content and connect with consumers.
- Collaborate with the growth team on paid acquisition campaigns and to ensure content is optimized for SEO and user experience.
- Measure, track, and optimize performance so that we consistently achieve and exceed key brand and growth KPIs.
- Work with the marketing leadership to identify message priorities and develop integrated content campaigns that are differentiated and drive engagement.
- Over time, recruit and hire exceptional team members for our storytelling team. Drive vision for team growth and organizational structure. Manage, motivate, teach and develop your talent.
What skills we ask for
- 10+ years of content marketing, editorial, or product marketing experience developing and deploying multi-channel content strategies to grow consumer audiences and brands.
- Excellent written, verbal, and copy editing skills, with impeccable taste and a talent for storytelling. Experience producing photo and video content a strong plus.
- You have fluency in content marketing tools and platforms, including: CMS; social media management/listening; data and business intelligence.
- Experience in a metrics driven organization and a test-and-learn mindset is a must.
- This is a team-first environment. You have a natural ability to collaborate well with others and empathy to support your peers. You’re also able to be fully responsible and lead your area of scope with complete autonomy.
- You possess exceptional organizational skills and have built content creation systems in the past, including budget management. You can oversee multiple work streams simultaneously and are equally comfortable delegating or owning tasks, no matter how big or small.
- You are creative and excited to tell incredible stories about outdoor culture, conservation, regenerative agriculture, how people’s lives are positively impacted by the nature. You want to do the best work of your entire career RIGHT NOW.
Working at Hipcamp
- We support flexible hours and occasional remote work. We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with awesome people, true empowerment, and nearly total autonomy create the best results.
- We believe health is essential to happiness. That's why teammates receive a monthly fitness stipend, an annual camping credit to get outside, as well as 50% off all Hipcamp listings (if you used up all of your annual credit). :)
- We support and appreciate individual working styles and help each other’s productivity. Each Hipcamp team member completes a “how to work with me” document so we lay it all out from the get-go without having to guess.
- We're committed to striving toward and evolving our shared values in ourselves and in other team members.
- We take team camping trips together, have a stocked gear library and access to pro deals at various outdoor brands.
- Our sunny, plant-filled office is located at 965 Mission St. near the Powell BART station.
- We hope you have a (well-behaved) dog to bring to our office.
- We love sunlight, plants, the enneagram test, avocados, smoked salmon, bitchin’ sauce and hope you do too.
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and we greatly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact, we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.