Senior Software Engineer - Platform
Hipcamp is looking for a Senior Platform Software Engineer to join our distributed Engineering team. The ideal candidate has 4+ years of experience with web services and cloud technologies. If you’re passionate about the outdoors and would like to work in a fast-paced startup environment remotely from (almost) anywhere in the US, then we want you!
Hipcamp unlocks access to private land, creating new places for people to get outside and go camping, glamping, or RV’ing. We believe that spending time in nature is essential to a happy and healthy human life, and we are deeply passionate about our mission to get more people outside. We are proud of the impact Hipcamp creates by making nature more accessible, providing income to support the protection of private land, and creating community across the urban rural divide.
As an Engineering team, we believe programming is a practice like yoga or surfing. It is a skill that can be eternally improved, an art form so infinitely complex that it cannot be mastered. We encourage team members to continue learning and exploring their curiosities. We like to deploy features early and often, learning as much as we can in the process. The foundation of our blameless culture is trust in our engineers.
Learn more about Hipcamp Engineering here.
About the Role
In this role, you will build platform services and infrastructure that take Hipcamp to web scale. You will work with engineering, data scientists and product teams to create a platform that is high quality, simple and dependable. You will build lasting systems that people love to use.
What Success Looks Like
- You partner closely with stakeholders to build a scalable, simple and dependable platform services
- You collaborate with others to design and implement new architectures to support the changing needs of the business
- You teach others how to deliver high quality software
- You develop best practices and standards to strengthen our team and use your influence to enact change
- You own outages and failures by participating in on-call with the rest of the team
- You continually improve our codebase and systems to increase team velocity and scale
- You foster an inclusive, supportive, and positive environment that is great to work in
What Sets You Up For Success
- 4+ years experience developing platform services for the web
- Proficiency in cloud architecture and devops
- Proficiency in containerized development + deployment
- Proficiency building and running databases and data pipelines
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Comfort working in fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
- Comfort collaborating with a distributed team
- Comfort working with applications and systems at scale
About our Work Environment
Compensation will be a mix of salary and stock options. It is based on your location and will be highly competitive compared to similar-stage companies.
Health is essential to happiness. In addition to full health insurance, all team members receive a monthly wellness stipend and $1K in Hipcash because we believe getting outside is excellent preventative medicine in addition to increasing your creativity, lowering your stress, and making you an overall more awesome human.
We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with great people, empowerment, and autonomy create the best results. We feel confident that inclusive and diverse teams working on an important cause can accomplish extraordinary things.
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.