San Francisco, CA
Hipcamp makes it easy to list, discover, and book campgrounds and accommodations on private and public land. Whether you’re looking for a scenic spot to pitch your tent or planning a nature-filled getaway, Hipcamp is your go-to guide to getting outside. One of our core beliefs is that people who are connected and aligned with nature are happier and healthier humans.
Our mission is to get more people outside. We accomplish this by making nature more accessible, creating revenue to support the protection of land, and creating community across the urban-rural divide. You can read through our full company values here. You will have the opportunity to join a team that respects each other, values empathetic leadership, cross-collaboration, and is wildly passionate about getting more people outside.
About the role
Hipcamp has huge growth potential within the highly fragmented $76 billion a year outdoor travel market.
This is the perfect opportunity for you to have a central role as we transition from our exploratory and opportunistic early growth phase to a systematic and repeatable approach to experimentation and growth. Our proven product/market fit makes it clear that we are ready for this transition.
You are a team player with a scrappy mindset, who is inherently curious, innovative and excited to move quickly. Your customer empathy and data-driven focus on achieving team goals make you eager to experiment, learn and drive results.
Your strong, diverse technical skills allow you to make rapid progress over all parts of the codebase. Your relentless focus on driving growth keeps you grounded and aimed at what really matters.
Your collaborative approach and strong communication skills make you a valued member of our growth team, where you will regularly work with others across functions: software engineering, data science, marketing, finance, etc.
You welcome the opportunity to work across a diverse set of small to medium-sized engineering tasks, moving quickly over different parts of the UI and code base. These tasks are unified by the common growth goal rather than being unified via a focus on a single discrete part of our system.
Skills + experience we ask for
- Technical BA/BS or equivalent experience.
- Previous startup experience or experience working on very rapid growth project within larger company.
- Experience with SEO optimization.
- Experience optimizing engagement and growth loops.
- Experience with consumer web/mobile applications is required. Experience building marketplaces is preferred but not required.
- Experience with A/B testing and experimental methodologies.
- Comfortable with statistical analysis commonly used as part of growth and SEO projects.
- Experience with Ruby/Rails required. Experience with React, Backbone and Coffeescript are desirable.
- Experience creating well-structured HTML and CSS that deliver high touch design. Effectively managing those UI elements across a team of engineers. Experience with “design system” approaches is a plus.
- Experience with integration of email marketing with web/mobile growth loops is desirable.
- Experience with development and optimization of paid marketing experience is desirable.
Working at Hipcamp
- As a team, we're committed to striving toward and evolving these shared values in ourselves and in other team members
- We support flexible hours and occasional remote work. We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with awesome people, true empowerment, and nearly total autonomy create the best results.
- We believe health is essential to happiness. That's why teammates receive a monthly fitness stipend, an annual camping credit to get outside, as well as 50% off all Hipcamp listings (if you used up all of your annual credit). :)
- We support and appreciate individual working styles and help each other’s productivity. Each Hipcamp team member completes a “how to work with me” document so we lay it all out from the get-go without having to guess.
- We're committed to striving toward and evolving our shared values in ourselves and in other team members.
- We take team camping trips together, have a stocked gear library and access to pro deals at various outdoor brands.
- Our sunny, plant-filled office is located at 965 Mission Street, near the Powell BART station.
- We hope you have a (well-behaved) dog to bring to our office.
- We love sunlight, plants, the enneagram test, avocados, smoked salmon, bitchin’ sauce and hope you do too.
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.