VP of Operations
San Francisco, CA
Hipcamp makes it easy to list, discover, and book campgrounds and accommodations on private and public land. Whether you’re looking for a scenic spot to pitch your tent or planning a nature-filled getaway in a cabin, Hipcamp is your go-to guide to getting outside. One of our core beliefs is that people who are connected and aligned with nature are happier and healthier humans. Our mission is to get more people outside and we accomplish this by making nature more accessible, creating revenue to support the protection of land, and creating community across the urban-rural divide. With over 300k sites across public and private land, Hipcamp is the most comprehensive guide to getting outside in the United States.
About the role
Hipcamp is looking for a VP of Operations who is passionate about building and scaling early stage start-ups and leading them through rapid growth. You will be at the forefront of this, driving core operational and business decisions, and leading the charge with market expansion and supply acquisition. You will report to our Founder & CEO, Alyssa Ravasio and will partner closely throughout the organization as a core leader in determining the strategy of Hipcamp for years to come. This role will be a combination of supply growth strategy, managing teams of market managers, support guides, developing systems for optimizing the balance of supply and demand across markets, and creating new teams to focus on Government Relations and Partnerships. Your core focus will be on launching and scaling new markets, and developing the successful Supply base to power this growth. We have recently raised our Series B from Andreessen Horowitz with returning support from Benchmark and strategic investments from Jay Z and Will Smith. We are embarking on an exciting journey of new growth. In this role, you will have the opportunity to join a team that respects each other, values empathetic leadership, cross-collaboration, and is wildly passionate about what we’re doing.
Your core responsibilities will include
- Develop and scale teams and leaders across Sales, Account Management, Support, Partnerships, Government Relations, and Marketplace Operations with an emphasis on operational excellence, efficiency, and adaptability.
- Develop strategies, programs and teams to launch and scale markets.
- Measure and deliver the needed mix of Supply across markets, accommodation types and quality/cost levels.
- Drive operational strategy of our Operating Committee (leadership team).
- Hire and launch new teams to lead on Partnerships and Government Relations.
- Up-level our Support and Trust + Safety teams, building on a culture that deeply values Support as an intelligence gathering team.
What skills we ask for
- Broad operational experience. This role will oversee Sales, Account Management, Customer Success, Customer Service, Trust & Safety, Government Relations, and Partnerships. While we don’t expect you to have deep experience in each of these areas, we expect you can learn fast and figure things out as you build.
- 10+ years and past senior leadership role in a consumer tech company, big bonus points for marketplace experience.
- Ability to lead decentralized teams across multiple regions and timezones.
- Ability to operate within a lean startup and at times ambiguous environment.
- Ability to streamline and implement new structures and roles that create speed, efficiency, and support rapidly shifting business demands.
- Executive level skills in communication and leadership.
- Excited to live and uphold our company values
- Value a collaborative culture with honest communication and frequent feedback
- Strong drive to consistently improve and get the best you can from yourself, your peers, your teams, and your company
- Passionate about empowering teams with clear goals
- Love (and thrive in) the early stage startup environment where anything is possible, total resources are highly constrained, and sequencing means everything.
Working at Hipcamp
- We support flexible hours and occasional remote work. We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with awesome people, true empowerment, and nearly total autonomy create the best results.
- We believe health is essential to happiness. That's why teammates receive a monthly fitness stipend, a $1K annual Hipcamping credit to get outside, as well as 50% off all Hipcamp listings (if you used up all of your annual credit).
- We support and appreciate individual working styles and help each other’s productivity. Each Hipcamp team member completes a “how to work with me” document so we lay it all out from the get-go without having to guess.
- We're committed to striving toward and evolving our shared values in ourselves and in other team members.
- We take team camping trips together, have a stocked gear library and access to pro deals at various outdoor brands.
- Our sunny, plant-filled office is located at 965 Mission St. close to the Powell BART station.
- We hope you have a (well-behaved) dog to bring to our office.
- We love sunlight, plants, the enneagram test, avocados, smoked salmon, bitchin’ sauce and hope you do too.
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and we greatly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact, we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.