Head of Engineering
San Francisco, CA
Hipcamp makes it easy to list, discover, and book campgrounds and accommodations on private and public land. Whether you’re looking for a scenic spot to pitch your tent or planning a nature-filled getaway, Hipcamp is your go-to guide to getting outside.
One of our core beliefs is that people who are connected and aligned with nature are happier and healthier humans. Our mission is to get more people outside. We accomplish this by making nature more accessible, creating revenue to support the protection of land, and creating community across the urban-rural divide.
Hipcamp is looking for a Head of Engineering who is passionate about building and scaling early stage start-ups and leading them through rapid growth. You will be at the forefront of this, driving core engineering and business decisions. You will report directly to our Founder & CEO, Alyssa Ravasio and will partner closely throughout the organization as a core leader in determining the strategy of Hipcamp for years to come. This role will be a combination of people management, vision setting, execution, and technical leadership and these areas will evolve and differ as we add more people to our team and grow.
We are embarking on an exciting journey of new growth; and in this role, you will have the opportunity to join a team that respects each other, values empathetic leadership, cross-collaboration, and is wildly passionate about what we’re doing. Your primary focus will be people management and creating an environment where our engineers can thrive. Since we’re a fairly small team, in the beginning, you’ll also be rolling up your sleeves and coding. You will grow and mentor our engineers and guide critical decisions related to how to scale the team from a people, project, and technical standpoint. We’ll look to you as the North Star of the engineering team. A North Star is the only bright star whose position relative to a rotating Earth does not change. We think this is quite an accurate analogy for the impact you will have and the space for which you will give our engineers to grow. You will be the bright and steady center as our North Star — let’s get more people outside!
What you will get to do:
Grow our Engineers: Cultivate growth in our engineering team by helping them advance their careers and technical expertise. You’ll run effective 1:1s, inspire confidence, and communicate clearly when making decisions that impact your team.
Cultivate culture: Maintain and evolve our healthy engineering culture, with diversity & inclusion at the forefront. We want our engineers to be happy, productive, high performing and engaged.
Hire a lot: Partner closely with our Talent team to recruit, hire and retain top-tier talent.
Inspire technical direction: Empower the team to make great technical decisions by leading and facilitating architecture discussions. Bring your best practices to boost engineers’ productivity.
Be a leader: Be the primary representative and advocate for the engineering team internally and externally.
Impact our values: Uphold our company values and help iterate on our current engineering values to strengthen our engineer’s sense of identity.
Collaborate: Partner with product, design, and other leaders in the company; ensuring engineering is considered during all phases of development.
Thoughtful planning: Gather product requirements and plan engineering projects, capacity, and longer-term roadmaps.
All about you:
- Comfortable driving and coaching consensus within a group of passionate engineers and product owners
- High EQ; you are a person that helps people succeed, and know how to identify when someone is struggling
- Experience with creating and implementing engineering levels and career ladders and can bring your best practices while empowering engineers to grow their career
- Ability to navigate tough conversations and have years of practice delivering and receiving feedback
- Excited to contribute to a culture of code quality and advocate for best practices around this
- Demonstrated ability to attract, recruit, and close engineers
- Experience scaling a small core engineering team to a multi-team organization
- Managed new managers into great managers and are excited to do more of this
- Comfortable architecting and designing solutions with modern web technologies
- Pro at project management and cross-functional communication
- Dislikes dogmatism
- Passionate about building great products that make a difference in people’s lives
Working at Hipcamp:
- We support flexible hours and occasional remote work. We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with awesome people, true empowerment, and nearly total autonomy create the best results.
- We believe health is essential to happiness. That's why teammates receive a monthly fitness stipend, an annual camping credit to get outside, as well as 50% off all Hipcamp listings (if you used up all of your annual credit). :)
- We support and appreciate individual working styles and help each other’s productivity. Each Hipcamp team member completes a “how to work with me” document so we lay it all out from the get-go without having to guess.
- We're committed to striving toward and evolving our shared values in ourselves and in other team members.
- We take team camping trips together, have a stocked gear library and access to pro deals at various outdoor brands.
- Our sunny, plant-filled office is located at 965 Mission St. near Powell BART.
- We really hope you have a (well-behaved) dog to bring to our office.
- We love sunlight, plants, the enneagram test, avocados, smoked salmon, bitchin’ sauce and hope you do too.
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and we greatly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact, we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.