Senior Software Engineer - Payments
San Francisco, CA
Hipcamp is the world's largest marketplace dedicated to outdoor experiences and we keep getting bigger every day. We make it easy to list, discover, and book campgrounds and accommodations on private and public land. Whether you’re looking for a scenic spot to pitch your tent or planning a nature-filled getaway in a cabin, Hipcamp is your go-to guide to getting outside. One of our core beliefs is that people who are connected and aligned with nature are happier and healthier humans.
Our mission is to get more people outside and we accomplish this by making nature more accessible, creating revenue to support the protection of land, and creating community across the urban-rural divide. With over 300k sites across public and private land, Hipcamp is the most comprehensive guide to getting outside in the United States.
We have recently raised our Series B from Andreessen Horowitz with returning support from Benchmark and strategic investments from Jay Z and Will Smith. We are embarking on an exciting journey of new growth. In this role, you will have the opportunity to join a team that respects each other, values empathetic leadership, cross-collaboration, and is wildly passionate about what we’re doing.
You can read through our full company values here and our engineering team values here. You will have the opportunity to join a team that respects each other, values empathetic leadership, cross-collaboration, and is wildly passionate about getting more people outside. We're constantly tackling challenges in discovery, payments, fraud prevention, and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience.
About the role
- You will help build out our Booking and Payments Platform — which touches all aspects of Hipcamp’s business from Tents to RVs to Glamping; from booking solo hikers to coordinating 100 person events, from booking a place to sleep to booking one-of-kind experiences to enjoy along the way
- You will be part of the host team responsible for the whole stack from infrastructural work, to core services processing payments
- You’ll have the opportunity to experience technically challenging work, as you balance moving fast with the robustness and quality that working on payments demands
- You’ll maintain and improve data architecture and platform accounting systems
- You will contribute to building rich data pipelines to power financial reporting, data science, risk, and online systems to provide business insights and drive business values
What skills we ask for
- Strong SQL and database design skills
- Experience building/maintaining APIs
- Some DevOps experience nice to have
- Ruby on Rails experience is preferred
- Experience with at least one of the common payment services (such as Stripe, PayPal, etc.) is required
- Experience with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) — establishing clear service level boundaries
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), double ledger accounting, immutable data structures
- Experience working with Compliance, Trust & Safety teams preferred
- Experience building and managing data flows to and from third party systems
- Experience integrating custom systems with off-the-shelf accounting or ERP systems
- Experience building systems that meet high standards regarding personal privacy and information security is strongly desired
- Experience with Domain Driven Design is desired but not required
Working at Hipcamp:
- We believe health is essential to happiness. That's why teammates receive a monthly fitness stipend, an annual camping credit to get outside, as well as 50% off all Hipcamp listings (if you used up all of your annual credit). :)
- We support and appreciate individual working styles and help each other’s productivity. Each Hipcamp team member completes a “how to work with me” document so we lay it all out from the get-go without having to guess
- We're committed to striving toward and evolving our shared values in ourselves and in other team members
- We take team camping trips together, have a stocked gear library and access to pro deals at various outdoor brands
- Our sunny, plant-filled office is located near 5th & Mission Street, close to the Powell BART/Muni station
- We hope you have a (well-behaved) dog to bring to our office
- We love sunlight, plants, the enneagram test, avocados, smoked salmon, bitchin’ sauce and hope you do too
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and we greatly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact, we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.