Senior Software Engineer - Full-Stack
Hipcamp is looking for a Full-Stack Senior Software Engineer to join our distributed Engineering team. The ideal candidate has 4+ years of experience with full-stack development and is proficient in Ruby on Rails and React.js. If you’re passionate about the outdoors and would like to work in a fast-paced startup environment remotely from (almost) anywhere in the US, then we want you!
Hipcamp unlocks access to private land, creating new places for people to get outside and go camping, glamping, or RV’ing. We believe that spending time in nature is essential to a happy and healthy human life, and we are deeply passionate about our mission to get more people outside. We are proud of the impact Hipcamp creates by making nature more accessible, providing income to support the protection of private land, and creating community across the urban rural divide.
As an Engineering team, we believe programming is a practice like yoga or surfing. It is a skill that can be eternally improved, an art form so infinitely complex that it cannot be mastered. We encourage team members to continue learning and exploring their curiosities. We like to deploy features early and often, learning as much as we can in the process. The foundation of our blameless culture is trust in our engineers.
Learn more about Hipcamp Engineering here.
About the Role
In this role, you will help us build the best products and features to get more people outside. You will be responsible for all aspects of developing our web product including--but not limited to--architecture, implementation, testing, and partnering with stakeholders. Building a great product is a highly collaborative effort, so it’s important you are a team player with strong communication skills.
What Success Looks Like
- You partner closely with cross-functional stakeholders to design a product that meets our customers’ needs
- You partner closely with other engineers to implement end-to-end new features and functionality in the product
- You propose innovative and creative ideas that lead to a product that delights our customers and creates business impact
- You raise the bar on quality, testing, and performance to ensure the product reliably performs for our customers
- You help develop best practices and standards to strengthen our team
- You own outages and failures by participating in on-call with the rest of the team
- You continually improve our codebase and systems to increase team velocity and scale
- You foster an inclusive, supportive, and positive environment that is great to work in
What Sets You Up For Success
- 4+ years experience developing consumer web applications
- Proficiency in Ruby on Rails and React.js (or ability to ramp up very quickly)
- Proficiency in both front-end and back-end architecture
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Comfort working in fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
- Comfort collaborating with a distributed team
- Comfort working with applications and systems at scale
About our Work Environment
Compensation will be a mix of salary and stock options. It is based on your location and will be highly competitive compared to similar-stage companies.
Health is essential to happiness. In addition to full health insurance, all team members receive a monthly wellness stipend and $1K in Hipcash because we believe getting outside is excellent preventative medicine in addition to increasing your creativity, lowering your stress, and making you an overall more awesome human.
We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with great people, empowerment, and autonomy create the best results. We feel confident that inclusive and diverse teams working on an important cause can accomplish extraordinary things.
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.