Hipcamp is looking for an Engineering Manager to join our distributed Engineering team. The ideal candidate has 2+ years of experience managing software engineering teams in addition to 6+ years as a software engineer themselves. If you’re passionate about the outdoors and would like to work in a fast-paced startup environment remotely from (almost) anywhere in the US, then we want you!
Hipcamp unlocks access to private land, creating new places for people to get outside and go camping, glamping, or RV’ing. We believe that spending time in nature is essential to a happy and healthy human life, and we are deeply passionate about our mission to get more people outside. We are proud of the impact Hipcamp creates by making nature more accessible, providing income to support the protection of private land, and creating community across the urban rural divide.
As an Engineering team, we believe programming is a practice like yoga or surfing. It is a skill that can be eternally improved, an art form so infinitely complex that it cannot be mastered. We encourage team members to continue learning and exploring their curiosities. We like to deploy features early and often, learning as much as we can in the process. The foundation of our blameless culture is trust in our engineers.
Learn more about Hipcamp Engineering here.
About the Role
In this role, you will help us build the best products and features to get more people outside. You will be responsible for supporting one or more Engineering teams in product development, partnering closely with other leaders in Product and Design. You will also collaborate with other Engineering leaders to scale our teams and systems with Hipcamp's growth.
What Success Looks Like
- You partner closely with cross-functional stakeholders to design a product that meets our customers’ needs
- You work closely with engineers to help them implement end-to-end new features and functionality in the product
- You propose innovative and creative ideas that lead to a product that delights our customers and creates business impact
- You raise the bar on quality, testing, and performance to ensure the product reliably performs for our customers
- You help develop best practices and standards to strengthen our team
- You own outages and failures by supporting team members when they're on-call
- You work with engineers to continually improve our codebase and systems to increase team velocity and scale
- You foster an inclusive, supportive, and positive environment that is great to work in
What Sets You Up For Success
- 2+ years experience managing software engineering teams
- 6+ years experience as a software engineer, ideally reaching Staff level
- Experience working with product-oriented teams and roadmaps
- Strong planning and execution skills
- Strong architectural skills in both systems and applications
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Comfort working in fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
- Comfort collaborating with a distributed team
About our Work Environment
Compensation will be a mix of salary and stock options. It is based on your location and will be highly competitive compared to similar-stage companies.
Health is essential to happiness. In addition to full health insurance, all team members receive a monthly wellness stipend and $1K in Hipcash because we believe getting outside is excellent preventative medicine in addition to increasing your creativity, lowering your stress, and making you an overall more awesome human.
We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with great people, empowerment, and autonomy create the best results. We feel confident that inclusive and diverse teams working on an important cause can accomplish extraordinary things.
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.