Senior Communications Manager
Hipcamp is looking for a Senior Communications Manager to join our distribution team. The ideal candidate has 4+ years as a communications or marketing manager in a two-sided marketplace business or great consumer brand. If you’re passionate about the outdoors and would like to work in a fast-paced startup environment remotely from (almost) anywhere in the US, then we want you!
Hipcamp unlocks access to private land, creating new places for people to get outside and go camping. We believe that spending time in nature is essential to a happy and healthy human life, and we are passionate about our mission to get more people outside. We are deeply proud of the impact Hipcamp creates by making nature more accessible, providing income to support the protection of private land, and creating community across the urban-rural divide.
Hipcamp’s Marketing mission is to connect people with the magic of the outdoors. We make Hipcamp successful by understanding our users and inspiring them to engage with our platform. We’re responsible for all of Hipcamp’s marketing activities to Hipcampers (our consumers) and Hosts (the wonderful people who share their land on our platform).
About the Role
In this role, you will shape and execute on the strategy for driving global PR initiatives at Hipcamp. You’ll create and tell the story of our company and brand, and will establish Hipcamp as the brand people turn to to get outside. You will be responsible for partnering with our Operations team to support go to market efforts globally as we expand into new markets. You’ll partner with Government Relations to evangelize Hipcamp’s policy perspectives and elevate our role as a partner to rural communities. You’ll also work closely with our CEO to establish Hipcamp as a thought leader in land conservation, rural economic development, and the healing power of nature.
What success looks like:
- You own our press strategy globally and manage our PR agencies to support market expansion
- You leverage press and partnerships to generate awareness of Hipcamp as measured by UVM, Hipcamper account sign-ups, mobile app downloads and Host leads
- You collaborate with Government Relations to evangelize our policy positions and tell the stories of Hosts via local press.
- You collaborate with your Marketing peers to amplify the effect of press features through other channels
- You’ll manage executive thought leadership and prepare our CEO Alyssa Ravasio and other company spokespeople for interviews and speaking engagements
- You work with our Operations team to identify and execute on paid press opportunities where appropriate You develop and execute a framework for brand partnerships to drive meaningful value to Hipcamp
- You support our VP of People in internal communications efforts as needed
What sets you up for success:
- You are passionate about storytelling and have excellent communications abilities both written and verbal
- You’re an excellent relationship builder — you know how to manage a variety of external and internal stakeholders and can create alignment quickly
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and want to work in a fast paced environment
- You have 4+ years as a communications or marketing professional
- You have direct experience managing press and partnerships in a global marketplace
- You’re creative, you know when to follow industry playbooks and when there are opportunities for unconventional thinking
- You’re passionate about figuring out ways to quantify and measure the impact of your brand awareness efforts
- You identify as a “builder” while maintaining a strong vision — you can strategize and execute at the same time
About our Work Environment
Compensation will be a mix of salary and stock options. It is based on your location and will be highly competitive compared to similar-stage companies. Health is essential to happiness. In addition to full health insurance, all team members receive a monthly wellness stipend and $1K in Hipcash because we believe getting outside is excellent preventative medicine in addition to increasing your creativity, lowering your stress, and making you an overall more awesome human. We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with great people, empowerment, and autonomy create the best results. We feel confident that inclusive and diverse teams working on an important cause can accomplish extraordinary things. Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.