Director of Operations
New York, New York
Who are we?
Tempest (formerly known as Hip Sobriety) is building the next generation of recovery care: a meticulously designed brand and media presence which positions sobriety as an aspirational lifestyle choice and an online educational platform to help achieve it. Our unique approach of putting people at the center of their own recovery helps us reach the 46 million Americans who don’t identify as addicted. And lets us disrupt the entire recovery industry.
The current product is an 8-week ed-tech/digital therapy/online community that is a blend of online resources and instructor-led online sessions. At this point, thousands of participants have been through the beta course with a Net Promoter Score (NPS) of approximately 80. We launched a multi-contributor editorial platform, The Temper, in fall 2018.
We serve a customer currently ignored by the wellness, healthcare and recovery industries; deliver them to sobriety; and keep them engaged in an evolutionary pursuit at a fraction of the cost of traditional for profit treatment modalities. Tempest was founded in 2014 and is backed by Slow Ventures, Refactor, Female Founders Fund, and Red Light Management.
Tempest is seeking an experienced people leader to serve as our Director of Operations. Working closely with the COO, this individual will be responsible for the strategy, planning and support of our growing team of service providers. They must be an empathetic manager who sees learning and development as the mechanism through which we scale our team. They will help manage how we build our team and run our processes, from forecasting hiring needs and designing staffing models to building competency-based training programs to designing programs to engage remote employers.
Based in our NYC Office, the Director of Operations will work closely with leaders in the Product, Marketing, and Customer Experience teams and must exercise excellent judgment along with superior project management skills. They must have top-notch excel skills and experience with staffing models, budgets, P&Ls, and other models. They must also be skilled in developing relationships across the organization and demonstrate high emotional intelligence (EQ).
Experience supporting and managing complex projects in a healthcare, hospitality or startup environment is preferred. Most importantly, we're looking for someone who can build connections, take responsibility for day-to-day processes, support forecasting and reporting, and use data to drive improvements. If you are looking for an opportunity to join a high-growth, mission-driven organization in a role that has the potential to grow, this position is for you.
- COO's right-hand for people operations (including staffing, T&E), execution of strategic initiatives, financial planning and analysis, and management of processes associated with scaling our core student-facing team.
- In partnership with our student-facing team, assist in the operational elements of the launch and wrap up processes for our educational courses.
- Provide support for our student-facing team in using operational tools day-to-day.
- Support on-going recruiting, training, and ongoing development of student-facing team members.
- Help design and deploy our learning pathways for current and future student-facing team members.
- Be responsible for generating data and managing data reporting, including managing to KPIs for Operations team.
- Use quantitative and qualitative feedback to help drive process improvement.
- BA + MBA/MPH/MPA required - can be replaced by commensurate experience.
- 4-6 years of related experience, defined as people operations, product/project management, learning and development, and/or strategic consulting.
- Project management training and experience preferred.
- Superior computer skills, including experience with excel and complex financial and operational models (e.g., budgeting and forecasting).
- Experience using and administering Salesforce preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, communications and problem-solving skills and ability to collaborate with diverse internal and outside personalities at all levels.
- Ability to demonstrate discretion in handling confidential data and dealing with high-level executives.
- Organized with strict attention to detail while being able to prioritize appropriately.
- Maintain accountability and accept responsibility for key initiatives.
What we value and why you should join.
We’re a group of passionate and committed individuals determined not only to create a modern, feminist, inclusive, recovery modality but also to entirely upend the way our culture views alcohol—we are the anti-Rose All Day. We have a scrappy, get it done upstart ethos. We believe in showing up no matter what, honesty at all costs, persistence, straight-talking, and risk-taking. We’re not looking for culture fits, we’re looking for individuals looking to help build and grow an entirely new culture. You should join if you want to make a difference in the world, and see this as the obvious way for you to do just that.
Tempest is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fair and inclusive employment practices, and strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and others who may contribute to the diversification of ideas to apply. We offer competitive salary/equity packages and benefits.