New York, New York
Who are we?
Tempest (formerly known as Hip Sobriety) is building the next generation of recovery care: a meticulously designed brand and media presence which positions sobriety as an aspirational lifestyle choice and an online educational platform to help achieve it. Our unique approach of putting people at the center of their own recovery helps us reach the 46 million Americans who don’t identify as addicted. And lets us disrupt the entire recovery industry.
The current product is an 8-week ed-tech/digital therapy/online community that is a blend of online resources and instructor-led online sessions. At this point, thousands of participants have been through the beta course with a Net Promoter Score (NPS) of approximately 80. We launched a multi-contributor editorial platform, The Temper, in fall 2018.
We serve a customer currently ignored by the wellness, healthcare and recovery industries; deliver them to sobriety; and keep them engaged in an evolutionary pursuit at a fraction of the cost of traditional for profit treatment modalities. Tempest was founded in 2014 and is backed by Slow Ventures, Refactor, Female Founders Fund, and Red Light Management.
We’re looking for an instructional designer to develop interactive and engaging educational content. The ID will work with subject matter experts to develop both online resources and instructor-led content. The ID will be responsible for developing content build schedules and working with video producers and graphic designers to produce our blended courses. The ID will also be responsible for building and maintaining processes for iterative curriculum design. This includes guiding the user research into our students, building processes and frameworks for designing curricula, and maintaining a key pipeline of subject-matter experts & instructors.
- Create engaging learning activities and compelling course content that enhances retention and transfer
- Lead efforts to update and refresh existing educational content
- Conduct user research in conjunction with product owners to understand our students and their learning goals/needs
- Build and enforce evaluative frameworks for successful instructors/subject-matter experts
- Work with a production team (AV + graphics design) to produce and measure high-quality, engaging instructional video content
- Research, test, and develop interactive exercises and activity prompts for use as part of online and blended learning experiences
- Process and provide recommendations for future product development based on relevant learning data points & success metrics
- Develop and lead implementation of innovative methods for assessing student learning
- Optimize content formats to maximize engagement
- You’re obsessed with this problem of addiction and committed to delivering better solutions for people dealing with substance abuse
- You have experience producing educational content
- You excel at writing effective copy, instructional text, audio scripts/video scripts
- You have experience managing instructional staff and subject matter experts
- You have prior curriculum development and classroom experience
- You have solid knowledge of course development software and at least one Learning Management System
- You are comfortable in a fast-paced, early-stage company work environment
- You are genuinely curious about how to help people learn effectively
What we value and why you should join.
We’re a group of passionate and committed individuals determined not only to create a modern, feminist, inclusive, recovery modality but also to entirely upend the way our culture views alcohol—we are the anti-Rose All Day. We have a scrappy, get it done upstart ethos. We believe in showing up no matter what, honesty at all costs, persistence, straight-talking, and risk-taking. We’re not looking for culture fits, we’re looking for individuals looking to help build and grow an entirely new culture. You should join if you want to make a difference in the world, and see this as the obvious way for you to do just that.
Tempest is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fair and inclusive employment practices, and strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and others who may contribute to the diversification of ideas to apply. We offer competitive salary/equity packages and benefits.