Legal Counsel IP
London, UK /
Bumble – Legal /
We strongly encourage people of colour, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Bumble is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
Bumble is seeking an all-round Legal Counsel IP with a strong background in Intellectual Property Law to support the global IP portfolio, brand enforcement, brand expansion and licensing matters as well as a range of fast moving, tech-focused commercial and corporate matters. Reporting to the Head of IP and Brand Protection, the applicant will enjoy an extremely broad role across Bumble's entire product portfolio and work closely with the brand marketing and design teams as well as other key business stakeholders. This role would suit an experienced IP lawyer looking to branch out in-house in a more business centred role, and work independently within a small and dynamic team.
Role will be based in London with frequent travel to Malta when safely permitted.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide timely, effective, reliable and user-friendly advice on IP/legal issues and risks
- IP clearance and searching supporting marketing and design teams
- IP portfolio management, IP enforcement and prosecution (trade marks, designs, copyright, patents, domain names, social media handles)
- Creating and managing evidence archives
- Assisting in IP litigation as required
- Undertake a broad variety of corporate work, including supporting and handling corporate secretarial matters
- Advise, draft and negotiate a broad range of IP and commercial contracts (including IP assignment agreements, co-existence agreements, marketing agreements, licensing and merchandise agreements, white label agreements, software licence agreements)
- Become a trusted adviser to business leaders
Experience and Qualifications:
- 2:1 BA/BS/LLB degree or equivalent
- Qualified lawyer in UK/Malta or an EU country
- 1-3 years PQE desirable and good private practice training and experience
- Broad experience of international IP law, experience in trademark, copyright, domain name and patent prosecution and enforcement
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial contracts and experience of advising on licensing, advertising and product liability issues
- Knowledge and understanding of corporate matters and experience of corporate secretarial matters
- Resilient and comfortable interacting with senior management, and ability to provide advice confidently and effectively
- Ability to work autonomously and desire to take ownership of projects
- Ability to deliver a high standard of work under time constraints
- Strong drafting skills
- Experience in a commercial setting (in-house /client secondment)
Personal attributes and other requirements:
- Superior communication skills (both written and oral) and the ability to adapt communication style to suit a particular situation
- Excellent analytical, organisational and leadership skills
- Keen interest in the tech industry
Bumble is the parent company that operates Badoo and Bumble, two of the world’s largest dating and connection apps with a combined user base of over 600 million globally. The Bumble app was founded by CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd in 2014. Bumble is majority-owned by Blackstone and has over 600 employees in offices in Austin, London, and Moscow.
We truly value our employees and we believe it is important to provide an environment that supports your wellbeing. Life at Bumble in London includes:
* Employee Incentive Plan (EIP)
* £2,000 annual personal learning & development budget
* Private Medical Insurance (PMI)
* Private Dental Insurance
* Babylon Health app
* Mental health support
* Enhanced parental leave, including a highly competitive maternity package
* Subsidised gym membership
*'Double matched’ pension contributions up to 6%
* Plus loads of generous perks when we are in the office including breakfast, lunch and dinner, daily massages, free haircuts on-site, discounted nail services, regular socials, parties and family days.
With over 600 staff in 10+ countries all working remotely during the time of COVID-19, we’ve worked hard to adapt and support our teams during this challenging time, including:
* Flexible working hours
* Streaming free, live yoga & meditation sessions each week, as well as a full weekly timetable of free online exercise classes
* ‘Random Coffee’ - connecting staff across the globe in pairs once a week to get to know each other over a video chat
* ‘First Fridays’ - meal delivery for a remote lunch with your team once a month
* Employee Support Fund for those whose households are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19
* Written resources to guide employees through this challenging time
* You will also be taken through a fully digital onboarding process!
About Bumble: Bumble is the parent company that operates Badoo and Bumble, two of the world’s largest dating and connection apps with millions of users globally. The Bumble app was founded by CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd in 2014. Bumble is majority-owned by Blackstone and has over 600 employees in offices in Austin, London, and Moscow.