Distributed Systems / Blockchain Engineer
New York, NY or Remote /
Hiro builds developer tools for Stacks, the network that enables apps and smart contracts on Bitcoin.
Hiro is a core entity within the Stacks Ecosystem; a collection of independent entities, developers, and community members working to create a user-owned internet on Bitcoin.Hiro empowers developers with the tools they need to innovate and build on Bitcoin, the most secure and proven blockchain in the world.We contribute to Stacks’ core infrastructure and open-source libraries and build products like the Stacks Wallet and Stacks Explorer.
We're looking for passionate, mission-aligned engineers to work on blockstack-core: the open-source reference implementation of Stack's blockchain software. You'll get to develop truly permission-less peer-to-peer networks that must be resilient in an adversarial setting: changing IPs(e.g. behind a NAT); network partitions; unstable group membership; non innumerable set of peers; actively malicious peers. You'll also work on a novel consensus algorithm(Proof of Transfer) that is both energy efficient and secure by virtue of anchoring to an existing Proof of Work chain(Bitcoin)
This role is ideal for engineers with expertise in blockchains, distributed systems or compilers, an eye for security in protocol design and a high-bar for code quality.
What you'll do:
- Contribute to the development, maintenance, and testing of the Stacks blockchain. The Stacks blockchain is under active development, and as part of your role, you will be tasked with designing new features, improving the performance and reliability of the blockchain, and helping ensure that the Stacks blockchain can serve as a reliable, secure, and performant foundation for the entire Stacks ecosystem.
- Implement rigorous and thorough monitoring and testing practices to meet the security and performance requirements of the Stacks blockchain
- Design and implement blockchain supporting tools and utilities(e.g., CLI client, tools for exploring the blockchain, monitoring, benchmarking or debugging tools)
- Collaborate with other teams on new product features that have a dependency on the Stacks blockchain(e.g. developer tooling, UX for transaction signing, 3rd party integrations etc)
What we're looking for:
- 3+ years of hands on experience in a production environment with one or more of: public blockchains; consensus protocols; large-scale distributed systems; applied cryptography; compilers; any other equivalent / adjacent technology
- Experience working on and designing tests for long-running projects
- Experience testing distributed systems for behaviors in the presence of faults, network partitions, and network delays
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Working knowledge of the limitations and complexities involved in peer-to-peer systems
- Working knowledge of programming language interpreters, compilers, and static analysis
We'd also love to see:
- Experience with designing, implementing, and benchmarking highly performant programs.
- Experience working on a large, complex, distributed system such as a distributed database, cluster controllers, etc.
- Experience working on open-source projects
- Experience collaborating on a distributed team
What we offer:
- Competitive NYC Salary(regardless of location, benchmarked annually)
- Company equity and Stacks(STX) tokens--STX is the native cryptocurrency of the Blockstack network
- $500/mo co-working space reimbursement
- $1,200/yr budget for learning and development stipend
- $1000/yr of charity donation matching to an organization of your choosing
- Daily Lunch Reimbursement(even if you’re remote!)
- Open Vacation Policy, take the days you need
- Family-Friendly Health Benefits
- Free Life and Disability Insurance
- Health and dependent care(FSA)
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- 401k with 3% match
- Your choice of technical setup and equipment
Please note that benefits vary by country, the ones shown above are for our full time U.S. based employees. Benefit information for non-US based positions will be provided to individuals who interview for those roles.
Hiro was founded in 2013 under the name Blockstack PBC and is headquartered in New York City with employees and contractors distributed across the globe. Hiro is funded and backed by more than $75 million from Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, Lux Capital, Winklevoss Capital, Naval Ravikant, and many more. More info here.
Hiro is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and deeply cares about building a diverse team. Hiro is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law.