Software Engineer: Developer Tools
New York, NY or Remote /
Salary: $130,000-$170,000/ year + STX + Equity
Hiro builds developer tools for Stacks, the network that enables apps and smart contracts for Bitcoin.
Hiro is a core entity within the Stacks Ecosystem; a collection of independent entities, developers, and community members working to create a user-owned internet on Bitcoin. Hiro empowers developers with the tools they need to innovate and build on Bitcoin, the most secure and proven blockchain in the world. We contribute to Stacks’ core infrastructure and open-source libraries and build products like the Stacks Wallet and Stacks Explorer.
We're looking for an experienced engineer to help build our main products: developer tools, libraries and SDKs. You'll collaborate with a team and work independently to architect and deliver feature upgrades and improvements on the platform. In this role, you will build critical features for our developer community. You must be comfortable working in diverse development ecosystems and have worked independently in a rapidly scaling startup. OSS experience is preferred as we are an open source project.
What you'll do
- Build open-source developer tools for the Stacks blockchain, including but not limited to SDKs, APIs, command line tools and services
- Build developer tools and services for the Hiro Platform: this is a greenfield effort and a unique opportunity to participate in building a new product from the ground-up
- Work on stacks-blockchain-api: a rich and developer-friendly set of APIs for Stacks blockchain data, including full support of the Rosetta specification. Currently serving > 10M queries daily
- Collaborate with blockchain engineers and product engineers to help create a compelling developer experience
- Help shape the product & technical strategy for developer tools in the Stacks ecosystem
What we're looking for
- 5+ industry experience as a software engineer(or equivalent)
- Experience building open-source developer tools(APIs, SDKs, services)
- Passion for building delightful developer experiences and pride in your craft
- Experience working on production services, with CI/CD tools and with cloud providers like AWS and GCP
- Proficiency in at least one language or framework for building tools and services(e.g. NodeJS, Express, Rust, Go etc)
- Good understanding and comfort with storage / caching solutions ranging from SQL databases(e.g. Postgres) to NoSQL systems(e.g. Redis)
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience working being on or with remote / distributed teams
We'd also like to see
- Experience in the crypto/blockchain space or a deep curiosity of the landscape
We’d love to hear from you even if you don’t have experience or interest in every bullet.
What we'll offer
- Competitive NYC based Salary(regardless of location, benchmarked annually)
- Company equity and Stacks (STX) tokens--STX is the native cryptocurrency of the Stacks network
- $500/mo co-working space reimbursement
- $1,200/yr budget for learning and development stipend
- $1000/yr of charity donation matching to an organization of your choosing
- Daily Lunch Reimbursement(even if you’re remote!)
- Open Vacation Policy, take the days you need
- Family-Friendly Health Benefits
- Free Life and Disability Insurance
- Health and dependent care(FSA)
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- 401k with 3% match
- Your choice of technical setup and equipment
Please note that benefits vary by country, the ones shown above are for our full time U.S. based employees. Benefit information for non-US based positions will be provided to individuals who interview for those roles.
Hiro was founded in 2013 under the name Blockstack PBC and is headquartered in New York City with employees and contractors distributed across the globe. Hiro is funded and backed by more than $75 million from Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, Lux Capital, Winklevoss Capital, Naval Ravikant, and many more. More info here.
Hiro is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and deeply cares about building a diverse team. Hiro is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law.