Quality Control Superintendent
6901 W 65th St, Bedford Park, IL 60638 (Bedford Park Plant) /
Operations – Food Safety/Quality /
Home Chef is a rapidly growing meal kit delivery service, fueled by our customer-first mentality and incredible team. Our plant-based crew is the lifeblood of our organization, operating in a supportive environment that allows the workplace to feel like a home away from home. Our work product is a testament to what collaboration, heart, and hustle can accomplish when combined. If you’re ready to be part of the action, we’re ready to connect with you. There are no limits to where we can go together.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to escalate in the US and around the world, we are committed to keeping our teams and their families as our greatest priority. To that end, we are making some adjustments to the way we will be doing business in the upcoming weeks.
We are taking all the necessary precautions to keep our employees and customers safe, and would love to have you on our team as we can continue to serve our communities.
Home Chef Quality Control Superintendent is responsible for overseeing the Quality Control department and managing multiple Quality Control Supervisors in a multi-shift environment with 30 + full-time associates on a daily basis. The role is responsible for directly leading and managing the Quality Control team and partnering across departments to effectively and safely provide high quality, safe foods for our customers.
Coaching & Development
- Develop team of Supervisors, Leads and Technicians through training and coaching.
- Set clear development plan and performance targets for Quality Control Supervisor and discuss progress against plan on a daily basis
- As necessary, resolve personnel problems by investigating issues, identifying solutions, and recommending action while treating employees with respect through the process.
- Help develop effective people management skills of Quality Control supervisors and leads
- Oversee training programming for Quality Control Supervisor, holding Training Lead accountable for delivering all components of the Quality Control Training program to new technicians.
- Responsible for managing quality control indirect labor on a weekly basis, including but not limited to scheduling to meet labor KPIs and making adjustments as needed to ensure compliance
- Provide shift level labor targets to Quality Control Supervisor and provide feedback to Quality Control Supervisor on labor performance from previous day
- Own communication of weekly Quality Control KPIs (labor efficiency, quality compliance and error rate) to department managers and ensures relevant KPIs are being appropriately communicated to supervisors leads, and hourlies
- Participate to Site Error meeting and implement areas of improvement for Quality Plan through coaching and training of Quality Control Supervisors, Leads and Technicians
- Monitor daily and weekly responsibilities for QC Supervisors, QC Associates and Leads, making sure there are appropriate resources to cover all activities
- Implement and oversee all Quality Control Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Responsible for executing the Site Quality Plan through leading core Quality Control functions including portioning, meal bagging, and final box verification, and receiving.
- Ensure all necessary documentation for Quality Control and incident reporting is completed
- Partner with Corporate Operations Analytics Manager on development, implementation and training for new Quality Control applications
- Partners with Quality Management Specialist, Operations and other key stakeholders to implement changes, new process or new products in a safe manner and implement product quality conformance system
- Leads by example and embodies Home Chef values of Customer First, Best-in-Class Team, Ownership, Pursue Excellence, and Deliver Happiness and Home Chef behaviors of Humble Team-Player, Pragmatic Next-Level Thinker and Take Ownership.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with plant manager and Home Chef leadership, across other departments (production, warehouse, maintenance, HR, and procurement), and within the FSQA team.
- Document any food safety and quality issues and work with the FSQA Manager, Food Safety Specialist, Quality Management Specialist and plant partners for resolution
- Demonstrates willingness to work flexible shifts in order to devote equal attention to all shifts
- Drives strong communication across shifts and departments by ensuring huddles and daily communications are completed effectively
- Follow the facility GMPs and help enforce them throughout the facility
- Support the efforts of the company to maintain our food safety system (SQF) and quality programs
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability needed for this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- Minimum 3 years supervisory experience in quality control, distribution, manufacturing or supply chain with at least 2 years successfully managing multiple shifts and/or departments.
- Experience in Food Manufacturing is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict, build consensus, and facilitate problem-solving and collaboration amongst cross functional teams in a fast environment without a lot of structure and/or supervision
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks/priorities
- Associate’s/Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- Laboratory and quality equipment and instrumentation
- Computer and related software
- Automated and manual filling and weighing equipment.
Temperature: Must be able and willing to work in refrigerated coolers (~38⁰F)
Equipment Employees must be able to use the following equipment:
Perks and benefits:
- Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance available
- Paid holidays, sick time and vacation time
- 401k program
- Flexible spending accounts for qualified medical, dependent care, parking, or transit expenses
Home Chef is an equal opportunity employer.
To view the California Applicant Notice click here