Continuous Improvement Manager
1445 S. Tippecanoe Ave. San Bernardino, CA 92408 /
Operations – Continuous Improvement /
Home Chef is building new ways to provide meal solutions that meet a wide variety of customer needs, and shipping locations both online and in store. Our plant-based crew is the lifeblood of our organization, operating in a supportive environment that allows the workplace to feel like a home away from home. Our work product is a testament to what collaboration, heart, and hustle can accomplish when combined. If you’re ready to be part of the action, we’re ready to connect with you. There are no limits to where we can go together.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to escalate in the US and around the world, we are committed to keeping our teams and their families as our greatest priority. To that end, we are making some adjustments to the way we will be doing business in the upcoming weeks.
We are taking all the necessary precautions to keep our employees and customers safe, and would love to have you on our team as we can continue to serve our communities.
The Continuous Improvement Manager will seek out, tackle and resolve challenges across all of operations. They will be responsible for identifying and driving cross-functional process improvements with both a short and long term view. In doing so, they’ll build a culture of lean operations and continuous improvement from front-line employees up through management.
Identify, drive and implement process improvements:
- Become a true expert in production processes from start to finish, and identify areas for where Home Chef can streamline operations, reduce costs, or deploy new technologies
- Develop and roll-out cross-functional special projects that span production, procurement, quality assurance, warehousing, and customer service working with the central Operational Excellence team
- Be accountable for the smooth and sustained implementation of new processes, tools and skills
Establish performance dialogues and feedback loops:
- Compile and distribute reporting on business performance; identify and develop new tools that provide additional performance insight
- Lead performance dialogues at the plant level to drive strong performance in production errors and labor productivity; investigate root causes behind performance issues; co-develop actions to mitigate issues; follow-up with each department (e.g., production, quality, warehouse) to ensure actions are completed on-time and drive better performance; communicate results to central Operational Excellence team
Oversee and support day-to-day plant operations and production planning as needed:
- Reinforce best-practices and SOPs through day-to-day coaching and training in core business processes (e.g., production planning, ingredient portioning, labor scheduling)
- Support daily production plans, daily labor schedules, set targets, and track productivity, collaborating with operations managers and communicating plans cross-functionally
- Manage and advise team of 1-2 production planners and labor scheduling specialists
Think strategically about future plant operations:
- Coach, teach, and train production staff on fundamentals of operational excellence and continuous improvement practices
- Hold Kaizen events with plant management and front-line staff
- Follow the facility GMP’s and help enforce them throughout the facility
- Support the efforts of the company to maintain our food safety system (SQF) and quality programs
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability needed for this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- Results-oriented attitude; able to multi-task and get things done in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in production/operational environments
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, with strong attention to detail
- Extreme proficiency in analytical tools (e.g., Excel) and can quickly troubleshoot around data issues
- Fantastic track record in owning operational and/or process improvements end-to-end, from getting to the root cause behind a problem, to developing a creative solution, to convincing the right people to adopt the solution, to rolling out the solution and tracking progress through data-driven metrics
- Strong ability to track details and process improvements and to keep track of projects
- Interpersonal skills to work with team members in both production and corporate environments
- Ability to think “outside-the-box” when identifying and recommending operational improvements
- Flexible and calm under pressure, always looking toward the best way to improve on how we are doing things today
- Interest in the food, e-Commerce, start-up space
- Some travel may be required as part of this position
- Experience in investment banking, management consulting, venture capital, or equivalent is preferred but not necessary
- 2+ years in manufacturing or operations environment
- Experience in lean, CI or six sigma is preferred but not necessary
Perks and benefits:
- Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance available
- Paid holidays, sick time and vacation time
- 401k program
- Flexible spending accounts for qualified medical, dependent care, parking, or transit expenses
Home Chef is an equal opportunity employer.
To view the California Applicant Notice click here