Boston, MA /
Here at Hometap, we’re collaborative, passionate, and always ready to roll up our sleeves to create solutions that help people get more out of homeownership — and out of life. Our first product, a home equity investment, gives homeowners the opportunity to quickly access the equity they’ve built in their home to pay for what’s most important to them, from handling debt to finally making much-needed renovations, without taking on debt.
We work hard, and have some fun along the way, too. You don’t have to take our word for it: The Boston Globe and Comparably have recognized us as a great place to work, and we’ve been honored for our commitment to innovation in the fintech space by BostInno, HousingWire, and more!
In case you need any more convincing, we also provide competitive compensation, healthcare coverage, unlimited PTO, a generous share package, and a strong culture with plenty of opportunities for team-building and camaraderie.
Interested in joining us on our mission to make homeownership less stressful and more accessible? We’d love to talk.
To achieve our mission of making homeownership more accessible and less stressful, we must bring on board a diverse, empathetic, intelligent team. We are looking for a General Counsel to join our dynamic leadership team. This executive role will report directly to the CEO and play a major role in our business. This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to make an enormous impact as the business expands. At Hometap, legal is not only a critical support function across all aspects of the business, it’s deeply integrated into our product and business strategy.
Who You Are
To be successful in this role you’ll need to have legal and business expertise, but also bring a passion and understanding for entrepreneurship. You’ll need to be a high character individual who leads with integrity. You will be a person who is good at execution, works well within a team and has the ability and confidence to take the lead and guide others. You will be skilled at assessing and providing organized legal guidance on short timelines and then helping to execute business decisions. As we continue to build our reputable brand and develop new products in our young but growing space, as General Counsel you will need to love problem-solving in this dynamic and not fully established environment.
As General Counsel, you will oversee all strategic and tactical legal initiatives for Hometap. As part of the executive team, you will provide effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. To be successful, you’ll need to help us build a legal strategy that incorporates our business, legal and ethical responsibilities.
At Hometap, the legal function consists of three distinct categories for which you will be directly responsible.
Regulatory Matters: As a new product in the consumer home financing space, Hometap must be aware of and compliant with all applicable, federal, state, and local consumer finance and protection laws. You will help Hometap form a legal position and compliance strategy related to applicable laws and regulations, ensuring that we accomplish our business needs inclusive of our legal obligations. You’ll help us craft the documents that homeowners execute to enter into a Hometap investment, build an efficient and compliant investment process, implement a long-term state by state rollout strategy, assess new product opportunities, and develop an ongoing regulatory position and framework for the Company.
Capital Markets: Hometap’s growth requires sustained growth in the number of investments we make, which requires a significant amount of capital. You’ll help us maintain existing investment funds and credit facilities as well as explore new structures and sources of capital as we scale. You will be responsible for the legal and compliance components of those fundraising efforts, including negotiating terms, fund formation, documentation, compliance, etc. We’ll look to you to be our chief legal spokesperson, so your presence and comfort in externally-facing communications is paramount.
General Corporate: You will oversee all the general corporate legal matters at Hometap. Examples include vendor contracts and contractor agreements, NDAs, employee agreements, equity grants, employee handbook matters, compliance documentation, etc.
As such, your responsibilities will include:
- Leading the overall legal strategy and risk assessment for the Company
- Management of the Legal Team
- Driving the legal processes, procedures and infrastructure necessary to control and streamline legal review, documents, approvals and record keeping and to help Hometap scale into a much larger company
- Interfacing with other executive leadership and the Board of Directors to provide legal and strategic advice across a wide range of business and legal matters
- Working with the Capital Markets team on strategic planning and execution of capital formation opportunities
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating commercial agreements
- Working with business partners to drive appropriate review and approval processes
- Partnering with the executive team on corporate governance matters, including matters related to the Board, shareholders, auditors, and regulators
- Managing necessary state and federal licensing requirements, including ongoing compliance
- Tracking and analyzing legislative, business and regulatory issues relating to Company operations, contractual obligations, and compliance programs
- Advising on legal aspects of the Company’s financing activities
- Developing and implementing an overall corporate risk/compliance program
- Overseeing the management and retention of outside counsel
- Counseling management on employment and HR matters
What you bring:
- Significant experience and demonstrated success in at least two of the three major categories listed above
- J.D. degree from a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association
- Admission to the Bar in your state of residence
- Significant experience in a law firm environment, and at least 5+ years legal practice experience as internal counsel working in emerging growth companies.
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state regulatory and consumer financial services laws and regulations.
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Analytical problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Direct experience in the consumer home financing or related space is a major plus
Hometap is on a mission to make homeownership less stressful and more accessible. Our home equity investment product provides homeowners with a fast, simple, and straightforward way to access the equity in their home without taking out a loan or having to sell. By investing alongside homeowners, Hometap offers debt-free cash in exchange for a share of their home’s future value — all without any monthly payments or interest over the life of the investment. Through a combination of financial innovation and best-in-class customer service, Hometap enables people to get more from homeownership so they can get more from life.
Hometap believes that our differences are what bring us together, and one of our biggest priorities is creating a diverse workplace that welcomes and values each team member’s unique perspective, background, and ideas. All roles here are filled based solely on candidates’ qualifications and our business needs.
Hometap is based in Boston, but will consider remote work for this position; however, the position must be performed in the United States entirely outside of Colorado.